Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 or 3 months ago, I acquired a 1949/1950 SML alto saxophone (Revision C) from a family friend. I am primarily a tenor player, but as college approaches I needed a solid alto that would help me develop my alto chops. After getting the horn, I took it up to my repair tech, who happens to be an SML fan as well. He let me play his horn so I could get a general idea of how mine would sound when it was finished, and I was BLOWN AWAY! The overhaul was the easiest $600 I've ever spent. Three or four weeks later, I picked up the horn from my tech, and was BLOWN AWAY (mind the capital letters). Since then, I've had a blast playing the horn and learning all of its quirks and idiosyncrasies. This horn has a HUGE sound and projects extremely easily. The sound is on the darker side of the spectrum, but also extremely flexible. When I play on my classical setup (Vandoren AL3 + LaVoz Med. Hard), the tone is pure, dark, and warm. I can't wait to play this horn in a wind ensemble setting! When I play on my jazz setup (Meyer 6m + LaVoz Med. Hard), the tone brightens up a little bit and projects even more. It performs exceedingly well in a big band and combo setting.

Overall, I'd HIGHLY recommend the SML Rev C Alto to players of all skill levels. The key-work is intuitive and comfortable, the horn is free-blowing, and the sound is phenomenal. The horn is the perfect choice for someone looking for a horn that plays like a $7,000 horn without the wild price tag.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts