Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to sell my horn because it has been sitting in my closet collecting dust.. Just need some advice on how to do such thing.

I have it up on eBay but some guy claims it is re laquered, I'm not 100% positive that it really is because I have had it since 1990 and the person that my parents bought it from also had it in their closet for years.

This one guy emailed me saying "Just trying to help, this has definately been re-lacqured. Selmer Paris MK 6's were engraved AFTER the lacquering process by hand. When re-laquered, the horn is stripped and buffed-smoothing(or dulling,flattening) the engraving out and the lacquer is applied over the whole horn. This process removes metal and changes the horn forever. Unfortunately, this DRASTICALLY lowers the value because it changes the sound of the horn compared to the controlled manufacturing process done originally. Probably not what you want to hear, but when people are out to buy a Selmer MK 6 (and spend big money) They want an original, even if the lacquer is falling off of it. You could expect to get MUCH LESS than half of what your asking. I've been at this for 30 yrs and I can assure you that this is the case."

I'm not sure what he means.. He sounded rude so I just let him be that way and just letting my auction run out and not going to relist until I can find someone to look at it and tell me that it hasn't been relaquerued, because I don't think it has.

HELP?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,343 Posts
if it had been relacquered it would probably look much better than it does.

I just wouldn't describ it as to be MINT if I were you, since, to me ( and many other people I suspect...), Mint means something completely different than the way your sax looks like. By the way, there are plenty of scams on e-bay selling Mint Chinese Mark VI's, so don't get mixed up with such " scum". The lacquer is also very dark if it was re-done must have happened many years ago.

it could be kosher.

You also need to provide better pictures, for that kind of money your buyers will want to see everything in minute details.

Post more detailed and better pictures here (ask a friend who can take them if you can't, or go to a capable photographer.....it will be worth it!)

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Right. Also next time if you relist then start at a lower asking price. You will get more hits. And set a Reserve. That way your not selling it for $1000

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that information. I just put mint on there since the eBay auction that I saw that was almost just like my sax had it in their title. Thanks for that tip.

I don't think it was re laquered but this guy says it has to be since the serial # is not on my neck piece... but I looked on the internet on where it'd be located, but I found a lot of people saying there will not be a serial # on the neck if it was assembled in paris. Is that true?

·
40,343 Posts
not all Mark Vi have serial numbers on both neck and body, not all Mark Vi have Mark Vi engraved on it, not all Mark VI have the trade mark selmer wit the R in a circle.........not all the people who talk about Mark VI know what they are talking about

·
Registered
706 Posts
yes.. selmers that were distributed in EUrope don't usually have serial numbers on the neck.. I don't think that anyone can say that it is relacq from the distance that your photos are taken.. you surely have to get more detailed pics..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, just kind of nerved me that this guy claiming to have 30 years of experience is trying to claim that information.. my friend looked at his profile and sees that he buys a lot of cheap things and think he is trying to get me to post it a lot lower so he can scam a good deal.

I'm going to try and find someone to take better pictures. we didn't know they were so dark until he got home to post on eBay. he lives 30 minutes away so we just had to post what we had at the time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I'd love to know who the guy was that told you it was not original. I agree with your opinion that he may have been after a really sweet deal. Without better pictures I couldn't say for sure that it is an original lacquer but I don't see any signs of buffing on the horn.

If you search the forum you will find an explanation about how Selmer applied lacquer. A horn this late would not have a serial number on the neck. That is pretty much common knowledge and for someone to say otherwise shows that they are either a) trying to prey on you or b) they don't know what they are talking about.

·
40,343 Posts
a Prowler, no doubt, anybody likes a bargain but this is beneath that level

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think it is original -- as the other person said the horn is not that old so if it was relacquered it would look alot better than it does -- especially if it was sitting in a closet

Good Luck ! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Tharruff said:
FWIW...I think it has been relacquered based on the photos listed in post 13.

why do you say that?

I know the lighting didn't help it most likely. My room is bright since I have 70 watt bulbs and hard taking pictures with a webcam. My sax is definately not that light colored in natural light.

Also, I don't know if it helps any, but my parents had me keep it in a pillow case through out the time I used it to help prevent damage to the saxophone.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would say it looks like a re-lacq to me, both from your pics on e-bay and the cam-made ones. I may be completely wrong though but the finish looks a bit too thick at some places compared to original lacquering which is really really thin on these old horns. my 2cts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
if thats an original lacquer, i'm abe lincoln and 200 something years old.

the engraving on the bell is completly buffed out and the lacquer is too yellow to be original selmer lacquer with american engraving.

just because you have owned the horn for a while does not mean that its original lacquer.

you should email the person who wrote you and thank him for correcting your error. as your listing as it exists now is inaccurate. this is exactly why people need to be careful buying a saxophone on ebay. i would correct your auction as it will end in a mess when the buyer receives the horn.

also the engraving visable on the bell in the original auction photos definitely makes the horn look like a relacquer, the color and the engraving in the link to photos only confirms this.

sorry but your horn is definitely a relacquer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you know where I could get the horn looked at to see if it is relacquered like some are claiming?

We just have one music shop here called BackStage Music, but I'm not sure they would have someone that would be able to tell.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,407 Posts
Mike_S is very familiar with Selmers, so if he tells you that it's not original, it probably isn't. By the pictures, I think I agree - but I'm no expert nor would ever claim to be.

If you aren't convinced it's a relacq, I say keep all the pictures handy to anyone with questions and relist it stating that you don't know whether it's original lacquer or not (because you don't). Let the bidders make their own decision and bid accordingly. You'll not have misrepresented the horn, and anyone willing to shell out the money for a "possibly original" lacq VI will either have done their homework by studying the pictures or they will take the gamble at their own risk.

Best to say something like "I am not sure if it is original lacquer or not. Some think it is, some think it isn't."

Good Luck with the sale. I hope you are happy with the money you get for it and make no enemies in the process.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts