Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,508 Posts
SaxLover325: Welcome to SOTW. The third one you listed did not look like a J&K, more like a J&S, as shown on the linked page. The term JK or however you punctuate it usually means Julius Keilwerth, a top-drawer instrument.

What you are looking at (all three) are inexpensive, questionable-quality Asian-made (non-Japanese, the Japanese-made being really top quality in most cases) saxophones. I am of the opinion that "inexpensive" is not the best thing for saxophones, especially sopranos, but others here on SOTW may be okay with theirs.

It is all opinion - and what one can afford. I'd rather up my budget to $1K and get a better-quality soprano than try to do it on the cheap and end up eventually having to spend that plus the REAL cost of a better soprano. But that's just me.

WW&BW is a reputable dealer, though and I have purchased many instruments from them in my time. But one inexpensive curved soprano I bought from them (their curved Woodwind model) was almost unplayable because of the poor intonation. That stopped me from doing that again.

Lastly, beware of marketing hype in advertising. One person's "intermediate" is another person's junk. Not always, but highly possible. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,508 Posts
A simple typo - no big deal - just needed to clear that up.

You may want to check out Dave Kessler's store in Las Vegas for good-playing yet inexpensive soprano saxophones. He is a site-sponsor and has sopranos and I know him personally; he is a distributor of inexpensive Asian-made saxophones. But in his case, he knows the manufacturer(s) and ensures that the build-quality is decent and done to his satisfaction. There are others who do this too, but the generic brand-names some distributors choose to put on their dozen-gross of imported horns is not always as carefully contracted-for. I bought my then 11-year-old grandson a Kessler Custom alto (I personally selected it from among several versions and brands) some years ago and it still plays great. You could do a lot worse than Kessler's merchandise. DAVE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts