Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a junior in high school that plays tenor, alto, and calrinet, and I am now looking at soprano to further advance my skills and range. I'm about to turn sixteen and instead of getting a car, I asked for a soprano. So me and my mom have been searching around (with a budget of $500 dollars) and I have found a few that maybe or may not be good. So I'd greatly appreciate any advice and help. I've talked to my private lesson teacher a bit and have researched and read reviews.

There are three that I've found (B.T.W. I'm looking for an inermediate to profressional instrument, because I play at an advanced playing level, and I want an instrument that I can use through the rest of high school and college.)
The first is a Stephanhouser SSS700 Series straight Sopraano Sax. on woodwindbrasswind.com
The second is an Allora Vienna Series intermediate straight soprano sax. also at woodwindbrasswind.com
The third is a J&K Artist series straight soprano sax at
http://www.mcgillmusic.com/site/J_and_S_Artist_Series_Soprano_Sax_JSS-200.html

So with my limited saxophone knowledge I would apperciae any help and feedback that anyone can give me. Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,269 Posts
SaxLover325: Welcome to SOTW. The third one you listed did not look like a J&K, more like a J&S, as shown on the linked page. The term JK or however you punctuate it usually means Julius Keilwerth, a top-drawer instrument.

What you are looking at (all three) are inexpensive, questionable-quality Asian-made (non-Japanese, the Japanese-made being really top quality in most cases) saxophones. I am of the opinion that "inexpensive" is not the best thing for saxophones, especially sopranos, but others here on SOTW may be okay with theirs.

It is all opinion - and what one can afford. I'd rather up my budget to $1K and get a better-quality soprano than try to do it on the cheap and end up eventually having to spend that plus the REAL cost of a better soprano. But that's just me.

WW&BW is a reputable dealer, though and I have purchased many instruments from them in my time. But one inexpensive curved soprano I bought from them (their curved Woodwind model) was almost unplayable because of the poor intonation. That stopped me from doing that again.

Lastly, beware of marketing hype in advertising. One person's "intermediate" is another person's junk. Not always, but highly possible. DAVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you dave. I'll take that into concideration and talk to my mom and lesson techer. Also my appolgies for the JK and J&S mix up. I might just have to save up for a little longer and wait for chirstmas (Or graduation) until I can afford a quality soprano, and not take a chance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,269 Posts
A simple typo - no big deal - just needed to clear that up.

You may want to check out Dave Kessler's store in Las Vegas for good-playing yet inexpensive soprano saxophones. He is a site-sponsor and has sopranos and I know him personally; he is a distributor of inexpensive Asian-made saxophones. But in his case, he knows the manufacturer(s) and ensures that the build-quality is decent and done to his satisfaction. There are others who do this too, but the generic brand-names some distributors choose to put on their dozen-gross of imported horns is not always as carefully contracted-for. I bought my then 11-year-old grandson a Kessler Custom alto (I personally selected it from among several versions and brands) some years ago and it still plays great. You could do a lot worse than Kessler's merchandise. DAVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I deffinately will do that. Thank you so much for the recomendation. I will look into it, and thank you once again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts