Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great Selmer Mk VI, which I absolutely love.

But a few years back I was looking for a second horn for outdoor playing and just to have as a back-up.

I checked out all the usual suspects-Yamaha, Yani, Mauriat-and nothing really blew me away. Plus they weren't cheap.

Then I popped into Robertos' Winds in New York and learned that Roberto had just designed a line of horns under the RW name.

I tried out a few and found a tenor that was, well, kind of amazing. Big sound. Easy blowing. Smooth action. In-tune. (Not to mention a good price).

So I bought it.

Now, over the years I've always considered the RW as my "second horn," and by definition, not on the level of my beautiful MK VI.

Except when the Selmer is in the shop for a repair or overhaul, when I rediscover how awesome the RW tenor really is.

Now is one of those times. For the last couple of weeks the RW is my one and only horn. And it is unbelievable. The sound is big and rich. It's in-tune and really easy to play. I would even go so far to say (and I know this sounds heretical) it some respects it surpasses my MK VI.

I know it's hard to believe. I even have trouble coming to terms with the fact that this relatively unknown horn is, in many ways, on the level of the legendary Selmer.

Of course I look forward to picking up my Mk VI when Roberto finishes up the overhaul. But I'm not sure I'll ever again really think of the RW as my "second horn." I now appreciate that I have two wonderful instruments, both of which I can use on gigs and recordings.

I'm writing this to just let you know that if you're looking for a horn, check out the RWs.

I think you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to co-sign on the quality of RW Pro Series tenor saxes. I have played a Selmer SA80 Series II for over 20 years and love the horn. But I stopped by Roberto's on new year's eve to try out some of his horns. I was so impressed I bought one on the spot and actually ended up being Roberto's final sale of 2014. He gave me a great deal and I have been playing the RW ever since. I deliberately did not play my Selmer for about two weeks so I could really get used to the RW and then go back to the Selmer to see if the difference was all in my head... it's not. I picked up my Selmer a few weeks later and although it's still a great horn, I still like the RW better. The feel and tone has a unique edge that makes my sound different than all the Selmer players I find myself in jam session with. And EVERYBODY asks what kind of horn I'm playing... I think Roberto's going to start getting some more business from the DC area now since I've been down here basically being an unpaid spokesperson for the brand since I'm the only guy I know in this area that plays this horn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts