Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Gerhard, do you soak your reeds in anything?

I agree that the most obvious answer to the green is from the oxide reaction with copper in the brass, but there are some nickel compounds that are also green. If you mouthpiece is down to the nickel plate, clean and dry most of the time, then you add a wet solution that reacts with the nickel, there is some possibility of a different chemical reaction.
I normally only soak my reeds in water, before I play.

I am reluctant to do a relacquer ss the mpc plays great now after having it refaced.

I'll try the vaseline approach first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Lacquer on a table strikes me a a bad idea...both chemically and in terms of creating an uneven surface. Chemically that being close to your mouthpiece is much more likey an issue than brass in your mouth. Yes its bare brass but none of the alarmists around here have presented anything that resembles data to suggest that there is any health threat.

To me you are going into darker territory to fix what is likely a non problem.

My suggest is that if it bothers you this much do the job right and have it replated. Personally, Id just play it.
Thanks,
Ad I said, I am reluctant to relacquer or lacquer at all, so will just play it as it is and try the Vaseline approach.

Later when I will have developped green and purple spots everywhere on my face and body i will hopefully remember this discussion ... 🙂

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
If you have it replated do it right. From some knowledge of electrical connectors, I think the best sequence is nickel, silver than gold. This prevents the outer gold from diffusing into the brass. Gold is not very reactive so will hold up for a long time as the outer layer. Talk to Matt Marantz who knows a lot about plating metal mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,610 Posts
Lacquer has no place on mouthpieces...if you mean replating then it is not something you should worry about. It wont change the behavior of the piece unless someone does not know what they are doing and tries to buff the facing. We are talking mircons when replating. Nickel with gold on top is fine. If you have no personal reaction to nickel it is cheap and durable. Gold is soft and will wear.

Just know that Gold needs an under plating. It does not adhere to brass and will flake off.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.