Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to record with an AKG C519 mic plugged into a Toneport UX1 (from Line 6), connected to a pc and recording into Ableton.
I sounds like a plastic saxophone (and my sax is not made of plastic !).

I have done some research on the net, and found out that I propably need another mic (even better is 2 mics), a preamp (???), and some reflection adaptation in the room.

I figured out that an affordable good mic would be a Behringer B1, and I should combine that with a second mic and plug those into a preamp. Has anyone knowledge of an affordable preamp (for 2 mics)? And if I have a preamp, do I still need that Toneport UX1?

Regards,

BomBoora

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,919 Posts
The UX1 was intended for guitar, are you sure you switched off all amp modelling?
As far as I can see the UX1 has one preamp, so if you're going to use two mics you will need another interface with two preamps.
Another thought: when playing back in Ableton make sure to switch the Warp Engine off, or Ableton will sometimes start chopping the audio.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't think the second mic is really necessary - lots of examples in the tune of the month threads of people getting really nice sounds with just one. One really nice and transparent preamp/USB converter is the Shure X2U. It will also supply phantom power for your condenser mic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
'The tale of the tape'. The truth hurts. Keep recording - it is the #1 tool by which to get better. But also bear in mind we are our own worst critics and it probably is not as bad as you imagine. At the same time, never be satisfied. Compare yourself only to the greatest players of all time - everything else is BS.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I use a Sytek pre and an early Nady condenser (1100) mic with a tube power supply.
I have a closet that I hung carpet in, all walls and ceiling/floor.
I place the mic in front above my head facing the bell so it's over 3 feet away.
I use the same setup for flute.
It goes into a Lynx card in my desktop computer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I experimented some further, still the same bad sound quality.
the UX1 is indeed for guitar, but it has a mic input, and I also use it for a keyboard. It came with software (Podfarm), with a lot of possibilies (compressor, filters, even preamp), but none of them helps. I tried with and without that software.
I suppose I need it to convert an analog signal from the mic to digital (the UX1 is connected to the PC via usb).
Does a preamp do the same, can it also convert the signal to digital, or do I have to input the signal from the preamp into the UX1 anyway?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Some preamps have A to D capabilities.
My pre only amplifies an analog signal and keeps it analog with xlr in and out.
The converter is the card in my computer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess part of the sound quality depends then on the quality of the converter. Maybe the Ux1 is poor quality

Sent from my BP1 using Tapatalk

156 Posts
:joker:no no no ........just give up! .......just kidding....buy a zoom and keep it simple, there portable, there fun, they do video also, they rock:cheers:
I tried to record with an AKG C519 mic plugged into a Toneport UX1 (from Line 6), connected to a pc and recording into Ableton.
I sounds like a plastic saxophone (and my sax is not made of plastic !).

I have done some research on the net, and found out that I propably need another mic (even better is 2 mics), a preamp (???), and some reflection adaptation in the room.

I figured out that an affordable good mic would be a Behringer B1, and I should combine that with a second mic and plug those into a preamp. Has anyone knowledge of an affordable preamp (for 2 mics)? And if I have a preamp, do I still need that Toneport UX1?

Regards,

BomBoora

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
When I first heard my sax sound on a recording I was almost preparde to give up playing entirely. Bad recording equipment was a major part of the awful sound. I used the first chance I had when recording in a studio to check my sound; I. Asked the sound engineer to get me a tape of me playing some scales , long tones and licks. No reverb, no effects, no major eq stuff either, just straight on to the tape but this time with the proper studio equipment. A neumann mic if I recall correctly.
Made a world of difference compared to my home recordings.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Boomboora,

When you describe the sound your getting as it making your sax sound like plastic we don't really know exactly what that sounds like. Is there any way you can post up a quick sample of what your getting?

Also what is your full chain (mic -> B29L -> UX1 -> computer?) ? It looks like that mic is designed to plug into a unit that supplies voltage (for phantom power) that has a 'volume' wheel on it. What is that volume set to?

With the little info we do have the most likely thing that is happening is that the signal has too much overall gain resulting in distortion. If you do have that box called a B29L try cutting the volume in half on that the try to balance out the signal on the UX1 gain knob, and if it's still distorted cut the volume in half again at the B29L.

One other thing to think about is you can experiment with using mic positions outside of just clipping it to the bell so you can have a bit more distance to the mic element. The proximity that the normal setup with that (about 3-4 inches) won't get a sound in line with what we hear when playing the sax. For another option you can try placing the mic around eye-level about 2 feet in front of you pointing at your left hand.

Let us know if you get that working, as those devices should be able to get a decent recording.

-jake

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Since the AKG C519 is a clip on mic, I assume you have it clipped on your bell. Since it is a condenser mic, and I assume you are recording at home with no other noise that can leak in, try clipping the mic onto something other than your sax, and make it so it is about one foot (30cm) away from your horn, at about the height of the left hand keys of your sax. And of course, follow the other guidance here to make sure any effects which can be applied by the preamp are turned off.

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
Maybe post a sample, so we can hear what kind of distortion it is.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
879 Posts
I use a Sytek pre and an early Nady condenser (1100) mic with a tube power supply.
I have a closet that I hung carpet in, all walls and ceiling/floor.
I place the mic in front above my head facing the bell so it's over 3 feet away.
I use the same setup for flute.
It goes into a Lynx card in my desktop computer.
I used to record my practice this way, but found it way more convenient to do it on my portable Roland R05 digital recorder. Using headphones for monitoring and feedback, I can achieve similar results. You can also save the recordings (with or without effects) to your PC or MAC via USB as a WAV or mp3 file.

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-R-05-S...F8&qid=1409567848&sr=8-1&keywords=roland+r-05

This totally changed the way I record my practice now.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Looks like a simple solution for practice.
My setup is for a finished product.
I used to record my practice this way, but found it way more convenient to do it on my portable Roland R05 digital recorder. Using headphones for monitoring and feedback, I can achieve similar results. You can also save the recordings (with or without effects) to your PC or MAC via USB as a WAV or mp3 file.

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-R-05-S...F8&qid=1409567848&sr=8-1&keywords=roland+r-05

This totally changed the way I record my practice now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member & Forum Contributor 2016
1,603 Posts
I used a AKG 519 exclusively for a few years. It's a good mic and I've always gotten good sound, when gain and mic has been positioned appropriately.

I have no experience with a UX1.

Keep practicing recording and experimenting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I don't have any preamp settings for my interface. Any tweaking to the sound (which is very very little) is done in post.

I use an M-audio Fast Track (Sub $100) and a Shure Sm58 (also Sub $100)

Now I've got some pedals and those can act like a preamp if I want to use it for that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I have a UX2, same guts as the UX1. It works great. I typically turn off all the bells and whistles and just use it dry, and add a bit of reverb in post.... But it can indeed model a bunch of different preamps, effects, and speaker cabinets - mostly for guitar but not all.

If you post a recording it might help....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok with all this good advice I have a lot of work to do. I'm gonna post a sample file of the sound as it is now, and then step by step try to implement some of the advice here and see how the sound changes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts