Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've posted this because I'm quite pleased with my progress with the bari. I know there are some mistakes, but I'd love to hear your your comments good or bad.
I hope you enjoy this.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cool! I don't how long you've been playing, but you sound good. Best wishes for continued success and musical enjoyment.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,576 Posts
You sound good man...Nice feel for the rhythm, and good phrasing! I have never played bari, kind of worried that if I try it out I will end up buying one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get those fingers on the pearls. It will help out a lot in the long run. It seems you are on the right track. Keep plugging away!
Do you mean stop waveing my fingers around? :mrgreen: I just can't help it! It's something I'm concentrateing on and it is getting better, slowley.

Thanks for all the lovely comments folks. I've only been playing the bari for about five months, but I've got five years on the tenor behind me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I mean when you play you should try to keep your fingers on the keys as much as possible even when you are not pressing the key or if you are lifting your finger to open the tone hole. Over time this will help make your playing smoother, more relaxed, more accurate and faster. I still work on it all the time. When I play something I know well my fingers hardly move. It is something that is better done sooner rather than later. If you play with a lot of wasted movement and tension in you fingers, hands and arms you can develope some real physical problems. You should also try to only squeeze enough to make a seal. If you squeeze to hard you can do the same kind of physical damage. Good luck and post more. I love seeing everybody one SOTW getting better. It's inspiring to be in touch with so many like minded sax nerds!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha ha I've never been called a "nerd" before..... and I kind of like it! Thanks for the advice. It gives me something solid to work on. I fully understand what you mean about wasted movement equaling wasted time and energy! I suppose this is one of the benefits of filming yourself. You can see physical problems as well as hearing technical problems too.
Thanks once again, from a happy "Nerd!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Ha ha I've never been called a "nerd" before..... and I kind of like it! Thanks for the advice. It gives me something solid to work on. I fully understand what you mean about wasted movement equaling wasted time and energy! I suppose this is one of the benefits of filming yourself. You can see physical problems as well as hearing technical problems too.
Thanks once again, from a happy "Nerd!"
From one nerd to the other "any time.":mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Sound pretty good except at 1:39 you aren't ending the melody correctly, which is very important with that tune. You are getting a nice tone out of your bari. That is a tough ballad to improvise on, just moves way too slow, for me anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments Finnerski, funny, that was one of the mistakes that I was on about, I knew I should have gone up instead of going down (sorry I don't read music so I don't know what those notes are, or more to the point, should be.) I'm glad you like the tone, I love it so it's nice to think that others find it pleasing too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts