1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Conn Bari says this...
12M
PAT.APP'D.FOR

I'm thinking this is around 1957????? Is this a good horn? I love the sound yet It needs some repair.
Where could I get parts for this horn? The part where the neck conecect's to the horn with the screw cracked.
More info on this horn would help me fix it.
Thanks
Kristy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Kristy,
Not a bad horn potentially but the Later Conn baris don't have the punch, richness of tone and for want of a better word grunt of the earlier transitional models. There are a few keywork improvements on the later 12M's but essentially they are identical minus rolled tone holes to the earlier models. They also seem to have less brass in them than the earlier models but this could just be subjective analysis or even hearsay.

The damage to your neck tenon can be repaired, you can even have a new neck tenon made for you horn or you can have a strap added to the outside to strenghten this joint.

Having owned both models of Conn Bari, earlier and later plus late Chu's, the pick of the bunch is the transitional model.

One thing you must do when you put your Bari in for service is to get it checked for straightness of the body tube. Most vintage baris are bent and when they are bent, they dont play anywhere near as well s they can play when straightened out. Intonation, pad sealing and keywork problems all get better once the horn is straightened. It is always a problem with the bigger saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,119 Posts
If it is just the screw that is broken, that is an easy fix. IF it is that the tenon is broken, a bit harder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts