Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 Kawai upright black piano. Nice thing, sounds great and the low notes are very nice. I think that the drastic weather changes in Lima have something to do with some unusual noises the thing makes. In Lima in the morning it's foggy and freezing and by midday it's sunny and extremely hot. DUring this time of the year the weather starts to change a lot.
The second A after middle C responds to this. It's as if that note changes tone with the weather. Really strange.
Anybody have similar experiences?
Any solutions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yeah, drastic humidity changes can affect the piano action quite a bit. Newer Kawai's have a lot of polymers used in the actions meant to stave off this fluctuation.

Generally Kawai's are great instruments. If you keep climate control (AC) on in your house it shold help keep things in a comfortable state for you and your piano.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
My first thought too was that air conditioning (AC) would be the way to go. I eschewed AC for years, but for my wife I acquiesced. (How could I not, she's buying me an Eppelsheim bass sax.) Now I can't live without AC and my instruments seem to appreciate it. :cool:

BTW, I went with a heat pump which saves me money on my heating bill too. It works especially well in moderate climates like what is found in the Seattle area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts