Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a King Zephyr tenor on ebay last weekend.
I was originally outbid but won it with a second chance offer after the winning bidder couldn't pay.
The thought behind it was to use it as a parts horn for my other two zephyrs, and it came with a not too trashed original gator skin case.
But when I got it and put it together, not expecting it to even be playable but it does play and has a really great sound.
The neck has been pulled down badly and was split on both sides, this made it harder to play, but not impossible.
After I did some solder work to the neck this morning it positively roars.
The serial number puts this one at around 1958, so its a little younger than my 51 and 48 zephyrs.
All three of them have quite different voices, the 48 is what I would call the rock horn, it want's to growl on its own and has a sort of bright gritty tone to it.
The 51 is considerably darker in tone and seems more suited to jazz ballads with a Dexter type of vibe.
This one is sort of in between and seems to be a real hard bop type of horn.
It's fat, gritty and dark all at the same time.
The more air you put through it the more it likes it.
It's a pretty ugly horn compared to the other two, with a few solder repairs, a detached keyguard, a heavily soldered neck, and very pitted lacquer, not to mention the mix of old and very old pads some with holes, some with plastic resonators, some with metal resonators and some with just rivets.
But it seal quite well and is a lot of fun to play.
Problem is it's too good a player to use as a parts horn.
This is the type of problem I like though.
Just thought I'd share my experience.

·
Banned
1,055 Posts
It's nice to be surprised like that. Enjoyed reading ....while having a coffee break.

·
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really might be worth actually having that neck taken apart, pulldown and dents repaired, and professionally repatched some day. I bet it will improve the tone even more.
I may go down that track someday.
However at the moment I'm enjoying the differences in tone I get through interchanging necks from my other two Zephyrs.
I am looking into buying a Super 20's silver neck from the same period (anyone know if that would fit without mods?).

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
757 Posts
There is something to be said about those American built sax's such as those made by H.N. White under the King name.

I bought a 1963 King Super 20 tenor in late summer. It wasn't in the best condition when I saw it. But I tried it anyway and I couldn't believe what I was getting out the thing in less than good condition. I bought it, got it overhauled and even my tech - Eric Beach had to comment on how well it plays and sounds.

There's just something special about King quality.

Enjoy that King...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,620 Posts
Wow, three zephyr tenors. You're in a good position to compare the differences.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Use the double socket necks from your other two Zep tenors on it.

·
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use the double socket necks from your other two Zep tenors on it.
I have tried the other necks on it and they do alter the sound a little.
Particularly the one from my 51 Zephyr.
This has a noticable darkening effect on the sound and seems to be less restricted than the others.
Havent tried it the other way around yet, but I think it will be interesting to see if the 58 neck brightens up the 51 sax.
And what sort of effect it has on the 48.
I should also point out that both of the other necks show signs of slight pull downs but not to the degree of the 58 model.
3 necks, 3 horns, 9 combinations that should keep me busy for a while.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
3 is too many, sell it to me and I'll drive over

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
I have tried the other necks on it and they do alter the sound a little.
Particularly the one from my 51 Zephyr.
This has a noticable darkening effect on the sound and seems to be less restricted than the others.
Havent tried it the other way around yet, but I think it will be interesting to see if the 58 neck brightens up the 51 sax.
And what sort of effect it has on the 48.
I should also point out that both of the other necks show signs of slight pull downs but not to the degree of the 58 model.
3 necks, 3 horns, 9 combinations that should keep me busy for a while.
U-betcha.
Zep tenors are the best.

·
14,961 Posts
I get this with many instruments. With minor tweaking the parts clunkers play too nice to salvage parts from, and the ones that I don't mind scrapping out are so crappy that the parts are useless.

·
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3 is too many, sell it to me and I'll drive over
I'll definately keep you in mind if I do decide to sell one of them.
I have a particularly hard time parting with Tenors that sound and play well. (even when they are ugly).
Something nice about a horn with years of battle scars.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,023 Posts
I am looking into buying a Super 20's silver neck from the same period (anyone know if that would fit without mods?).
Well, if you sell two of your Zephs, you may be able to afford a loner, original silver S20 neck.......

I wouldn't put too much thought or effort into that idea, honestly. It might make more sense to save up and just buy a whole S20, quite seriously.....

·
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get this with many instruments. With minor tweaking the parts clunkers play too nice to salvage parts from, and the ones that I don't mind scrapping out are so crappy that the parts are useless.
Looks like I'm not going to find a parts horn either.
Still would like to get my hands on another neck at some point.
If it's attached to a body I'm in trouble though.

·
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, if you sell two of your Zephs, you may be able to afford a loner, original silver S20 neck.......

I wouldn't put too much thought or effort into that idea, honestly. It might make more sense to save up and just buy a whole S20, quite seriously.....
I'm not too serious about the S20 neck idea, though I would like to try one if I get the chance.
The thought of buying the complete horn has crossed my mind.
Problem is I like too many different horns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts