Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SotW has helped me creep past some seriously aggravating issues over the past week, or so, and I thought I'd try to give something back. Not sure how useful this will be, but here goes.

At the end of my overtone shed time, I go through a small catalog of multi-phonics due to how conscious I have to be of my air stream in order to get them to render properly. Further, I try to transition between various fingerings in the chart as well as variations of the fingerings I'm holding at that moment. Some require sub-tone, and they all require different notes to be targeted. I also try to figure out what the closest fundamental fingering is and transition to and from that. Emphasis on "try".

I don't have a scanner, so I used Genius Scan and edited it the best I could. If you can't read it, have questions, or want me to take another pic, let me know. You should be able to download from dropbox without an account, if you're interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk59e36wtmzow1h/multi1.pdf?dl=0

Edit:

There's another exercise that I started doing recently that I learned from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NmkbbP5Y4

Since I can't do the inhale on tenor, and wouldn't want to put that nasty air into my lungs, I do the exhale on in the horn, and practice inhale using one of those cheap lung strengtheners from amazon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,215 Posts
There's another exercise that I started doing recently that I learned from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NmkbbP5Y4

Since I can't do the inhale on tenor, and wouldn't want to put that nasty air into my lungs, I do the exhale on in the horn, and practice inhale using one of those cheap lung strengtheners from amazon.
No. You don’t need to practice sucking to learn to breathe properly.

If you have been playing saxophone for 10+ years, you shouldn’t need this Stuff. If you have not yet developed good breath support fundamentals, please seek personal help from a professional - wind player, that is.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. You don’t need to practice sucking to learn to breathe properly.

If you have been playing saxophone for 10+ years, you shouldn’t need this Stuff. If you have not yet developed good breath support fundamentals, please seek personal help from a professional - wind player, that is.
I agree 100%.

I try to get intermittent check-ups, and one is on the horizon, right after I move in two weeks. Well, it won't be a check-up, it's the beginning of formal study again.

One thing that goes quickly is my breathing (well, my technique, too, but my air support worries me more than anything). Right now I'm really second-guessing myself in that area, so I'm doing what I can until I can get with someone. I've found the exhale-with-shirt-in-the-bell to be extremely effective in reminding me to support and keep the air unwavering. During the periods where I could shed, I always made sure to do overtones/long tones, always at the expense of everything else if a choice had to be made. I just made sure I was tagging that base if I could be putting air through the horn for a few minutes (the slightest sound of the saxophone in my house led to very bad living conditions, which isn't an issue anymore as of a few months ago).

I studied legit for a period back in 2008 and tried to retain and build upon it as much as I could over the years, and I also got with various players in my groups, when possible. Recently I decided it was time to get with a teacher, formally, again. I've been treading water with the horn until I could put all of my focus on it, which required finishing the other part of my musical path and getting into a situation that would allow me to shed any hour of the day.

At this point I'm not sure who I'm going to get with, but I'd like to grab some time with someone like Harvey Pittel, the Allard approach resonates with me. I don't know if he does the Skype thing, though. I'm still compiling a list just in case he doesn't.

As far as the inhale thing is concerned, I had a teacher emphasize that getting a full pull of air as quickly as possible is important, and I completely agree (at the time I wasn't, and was inhaling 'casually'). I was shown an exercise for it by someone else, but I forgot what it was, so I grabbed onto the idea in that video. One thing the work I did with my other instrument and composing is that not everything I try will be right (for me or otherwise), but to try it, rule it in or out, ask questions, and keep on with it.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
What's a 'warm-down"? I've heard of a warm-up and a cool-down but not a warm-down.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of the things I want to address with someone is making sure I've appropriated the Allard / Pitell embouchure properly (more natural to me). I was taught the Teal embouchure and to set tongue position / air stream as though a high-F was going to be played, and that was where you played from. It worked, and made sense for what we were working on. Once I was on my own and found the Allard thing, I had to go in that direction, to the extent I could.

That being said, if the person I study with sees a more natural embouchure for me, I'm with it. I just hope it isn't Teal. :)

I basically have 10 years of horn shedding starts-and-long-stops, a ton of information, a love for long tones and overtones, a sound in my head, and improvisational concept developed in another context/instrument. Now I just have to get my **** together on the instrument. I need the right teacher to slap me around. I have no friends, no social life, and no family where I am. If I'm not working, I'm shedding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts