Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing for quite sometime 23 years and tried different horns in the past. Recently my friend called me up to fix his Selmer Super action 80. After I did some leak fixing I compared them both. Under my fingers the opus just felt better accept for the mother of pearls. The tone had more core on the opus and it just sang alot easier on both registers upper and lower. They both played in tune as well. The opus is well made and soldered well together. I was so surprised and glad I go this horn as a gift after my yamaha 82z was stolen last month. I'm pretty sure my opus is made in china but it does not say nowhere on the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,018 Posts
That's always a good test, playing two horns with the same mouthpiece. What's happening with the Chinese manufacturers right now is the major makers are using them for the lower-end models which has given them a boost in technology. Secondly, 'boutique' brands are popping up that sell at prices below the majors but above the previous low-end offerings. I was just looking at one in an article from the NAMM show that has altos and tenors without high F#. These horns have a beautiful 'vintage' finish. So I'm not surprised at your results. I haven't heard of that brand but some years ago I would get tenors from WW&BW for local students for around $700 that were good-playing horns. I would tweak them a little and play them on my gigs to be sure they were 'real' horns before turning them over. One time the father of a student insisted on a Jupiter so I bought it. When it came in I couldn't make it blow - I took it on a gig and had to put it back in the case. I returned it and got a Woodwind and everything turned out. That kid years later got a Series III tenor and played through college. I'm really glad he didn't get that Jupiter and end up quitting.
So the Chinese horns can be played, no question about it. The questions have been about build quality which I think has now turned the corner.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
(...)The tone had more core on the opus and it just sang alot easier on both registers upper and lower. (...)
The Opus is certainly a nice horn. But are you sure you got rid of even the smallest leaks on the Selmer? If you didn't, the comparison would be unfair.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,462 Posts
Opus is a trading company, they sell many instruments ( from guitars to violins to brass to percussions ) which they don’t make (and are bought from multiple factories ) but only resell.
So speaking of an “ Opus saxophone” is a bit an unknown quantity since they could source it today from one company and tomorrow from another.

Not even Yamaha has as many products in their catalogue as Opus does.

http://www.opusmusic.com.cn

I’ve met them in Frankfurt and they still send me their pricelists sometimes.

They had a straight alto but they have things like an ABS tuba too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's always a good test, playing two horns with the same mouthpiece. What's happening with the Chinese manufacturers right now is the major makers are using them for the lower-end models which has given them a boost in technology. Secondly, 'boutique' brands are popping up that sell at prices below the majors but above the previous low-end offerings. I was just looking at one in an article from the NAMM show that has altos and tenors without high F#. These horns have a beautiful 'vintage' finish. So I'm not surprised at your results. I haven't heard of that brand but some years ago I would get tenors from WW&BW for local students for around $700 that were good-playing horns. I would tweak them a little and play them on my gigs to be sure they were 'real' horns before turning them over. One time the father of a student insisted on a Jupiter so I bought it. When it came in I couldn't make it blow - I took it on a gig and had to put it back in the case. I returned it and got a Woodwind and everything turned out. That kid years later got a Series III tenor and played through college. I'm really glad he didn't get that Jupiter and end up quitting.
So the Chinese horns can be played, no question about it. The questions have been about build quality which I think has now turned the corner.
When I gotthe opus everything sealed, put down a light and the only leak was low Bb. One thing about the opus that I dont like was the high e alternate with the bis b a and g played together. For me it plays sharp compared to the selmer. other than that it's totally worth it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Opus is certainly a nice horn. But are you sure you got rid of even the smallest leaks on the Selmer? If you didn't, the comparison would be unfair.
Yes everything sealed plus I was playing whole notes on each horn. Same mouthpiece set up and against a corner to hear myself more clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts