Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I am a Yani fan, and play 2 right now that are great horns, and tested several other great ones as well. I did have one bad experience though:

In junior high, approximately 1983, my parents bought a Yani step up (that's what the dealer called it-Leblanc was the distributor I think) alto to replace my Bundy alto. I do not know the model or the serial number. It was all gold lacquer, underslung neck, and came in a tan suede looking case.

It seemed fine at the time, but in retrospect, I recall it had a lot of resistance, and I developed some poor playing habits. (and maybe it was me and not the horn).

So-

1. Anyone know what model I had?
2. Have you ever played a bad Yani, and what was the experience?

·
Registered
493 Posts
the underslung crook usually means a 880 .Was the horn set up correctly did you ever have it check over by a descent tech? was it a new horn or second hand did the previous owner change the crook
i have 2 yani tenors a 880 and a 1979 t5 2 altos a992 and a 9930 previosly owned a A880 and a S880 all have which have been great horns this is why i'm suggesting that it needed a bit of tech work

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't trying to identify the problem, more interested in the which horn it was, and see if anyone else has had a bad experience of any sort.

·
Banned
624 Posts
had an early 80's or late 70's vintage Yani tenor. nice horn, but slightly weak metal and went out of adjustment a bit more often due to this.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Oh and it's been one of the better horns that I have owned. Plays very free and the keywork is second to none.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
Agree - probably an 880 - a truly excellent sax. One of the saddest situations in music education comes when young students struggle with what could be a great instrument because it isn't set up correctly. They don't have enough experience to understand that the problem isn't them, or what the instrument could play like if it was right. Happens all the time . . .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
I could've been a "VSP" also, which would've meant it was an 800 and not
an 880 ..

But, 1983 was 24 yrs. ago, and you were a kid .

What difference does it make, now ?

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tryptykon said:
What difference does it make, now ?

It doesn't make a difference, I was just curious.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
The only bad Yani experience I've ever had was the horrible mistake of selling an amazing B6 and the continual flagellating that continues to this day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts