Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I don't know if this is the right forum to ask questions like these...but I have an OLD saxophone that was my Dad's (he passed away) and my wife is making me sell it.

However, I have no idea what to sell it for, how much it's worth, etc ?

Sax info: The Alto Sax is called a King Super 20. It says on the front it was made in Cleveland Ohio by the H.N White Co. The Serial # on the back says 315623, the mouthpiece has the same serial #. It's in decent condition, few scuffs here and there, but I think it's like 50 years old so that's to be expected I guess.

Anyways I was gonna try putting it up on ebay or something, but I"m not sure if it's even worth the trouble? Should I just take it to a pawn shop?

Any help is appreciated. Again sorry if this is the wrong forum, I just didn't know where else to go!!

Pictures:
http://aboffices.com/images/sax/sax1.JPG
http://aboffices.com/images/sax/sax2.JPG

Adam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it is worth some money? What should I expect to get? By the looks of that website it looks like I was close to how old it was.

I'm located in Arizona by the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dunno, the neck LOOKS silver, however it looks like it was once gold, and the gold just came off and now it's silver? It could be just the age giving it that look.

I'm not really sure what the "bell" is but I'll guess that it's the actual "horn" opening part that resembles a bell? If so it's gold.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dear Adam,

I become kind of sad to hear that you are selling your dad's old saxophone. However, it could be on it's way to a home where someone will be putting it to good use.

I started playing at age 40 last winter, so IF you think you should have a go before you set rid of it, please do so! A saxophone is a wonderful instrument. Get a teacher spend 5-10 weeks, and then decide... You will never regret it. If you sell it, then want it back, it may be to late.

I sold my little boat, 10 years ago, I desperately want it back and the owner refuses to sell it. I made beautiful sails for it, and I would be so happy if my kids (6 and 8) could go out with me in that little boat. It is moored just a few hundred yards from my house... How could I be so stupid? My wife wasn't interested and I used it rarely.

If you still do not want it, think about your family, maybe someone could put the horn to good use? It would mean something special to them maybe? Do you have kids? If not now maybe later? This website is filled with people that have regrets about some horn that they have departed with.

It this doesn't convince you, rest a sure that your horn is valuable to the right guy, and 50 years is not old for a horn. If it is carefully restored it might be worth quite a lot.

There is a marketplace section on this website, visit and see what kind of interest old horns receive.

Good luck and welcome to Sax on the Web!
OsloSax

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Sorry, I was a bit conseritave on my guessing. I was going off the E-bay market. I would have to agree though my guess is low.

I also agree try it out, it is also very personal, I would hold off on selling, and try to learn on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the convincing, but I really don't have time to learn an instrument. I'm putting in 10-12 hour days, and a baby is on the way (no loud instruments!!).

I wouldn't mind getting into it later in life, but too much hustle and bustle right now to really enjoy something like that. Plus if it really does have value, I'd rather it go to someone who would appreciate it rather than sitting in a closet.

Anyhow, I can post pictures of it on here. And it's an Alto I believe, not a tenor. Does that lower the price quite a bit?

Do I need to get it professionally "restored." I mean it's not in rough shape by any means, I'm sure it can be played right out of the box. But is there more value in "original" rather than "refurbished" ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,019 Posts
Sell as-is, as a crappy pad job on it adds no value at all and just lowers your profit. A decent pad job is not cheap and whoever buys your sax will probably have a preference for what is done and who does it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
If you aren't going to play it yourself, don't touch it. Just sell it the way it is with good pictures.
Yes, an alto is worth less but this is still a valuable horn.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Adam, you could keep it in the closet... for a few more years. I bought a sax less than a year ago, my two kids love it! Our son has already started to play! Our daughter is about to:) They do not play sax, so we play together. It it really great, and my kids make me very, very proud.

What I like best about my alto, which is 43 years old, IS to blow a few nice tunes to get rid of all the stress collected at work. It clears my mind:) In that regard it does a great job. I do not play every day, but a few times a week. I do have a teacher. He keeps me from being frustrated and speeds up my learning.

On to your horn, an alto neck is L-shaped a tenor is more like S-shaped. See the pictures at www.saxpics.com.

An alto is more common to learn on, and most saxes are altos, tenor is also quite common, and a bit bigger. Soprano is not so common, and the smallest of the four usual sizes. The baritone is the biggest and rarest of the four. In general the price increases as the size increase. But a good soprano can still get a high price even if it is small.

The condition of the horn and the absence of repairs, especially bad ones, determines the price together with the "status" of that particular model. There are about 10 sizes in all. Most of them are rare.

New saxes can be quite expensive, some as much as a new car. Usually the range from $1000 to 5000 though. Old saxes are often cheaper, but they can sometimes go into the $5-10000 range.

I agree with the refurbishing, just leave it to the new owner if you decide to sell.

-
OsloSax

·
Registered
80 Posts
Adam, please read this first: a tread called "Ending my sax ..."
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=20876
This guy was a great player, but still put the horn down. There are a lot of interesting stories in this treat also about people without time...

Another great thing you might enjoy is to sing for your kid. Next thing could be to play. My kids enjoy that. Before you know it you'll be all jamming:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OsloSax - I guess if I ever did want to take up playing, I could just buy another saxaphone. No big deal. Right now the wife says the sax has to go, and I don't have alot of time to play, so it's just not in the cards right now =/

Ok I edited the first post to include pictures.

I just took a couple "rough" pictures so you get the idea. Obviously if I were to sell it, I could take more detailed ones...I just need to get an idea of how much I need to price it for.

Anyhow, here are the pictures:

http://aboffices.com/images/sax/sax1.JPG
http://aboffices.com/images/sax/sax2.JPG

·
Registered
80 Posts
Adam, tanks for the reply:)

I think this is a good place to sell it, people are knowledgeable, and I think more honest than e*ay. There is a section for selling here I would post there and change your tread name to something like F/S King Super 20 alto. On the price, it is hard to tell. But try the search button and search for similar saxes. You could even have a look at e*ay prices. And a shop could also give you a price. Like this:

http://www.tenormadness.com/productList.asp?category=vintage

If it comes with a case or mouthpiece take a photo and mention it in an ad. Your alto looks nice, it has some wear to the lacquer, but that is perfectly normal. Other than that it looks well taken care of.

Here are Harris requirements for sale:

1. Item name make, model (especially specify alto, tenor, etc.)
2. Asking price. This is no auction place.
3. Your shipping Location
4. Description in more details. Condition.

Good luck with the sale, wife and kids!

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
daudi81 said:
I dunno, the neck LOOKS silver, however it looks like it was once gold, and the gold just came off and now it's silver? It could be just the age giving it that look.

I'm not really sure what the "bell" is but I'll guess that it's the actual "horn" opening part that resembles a bell? If so it's gold.
The reason the neck appears that way is because it is solid sterling silver, and was gold lacquered along with the rest of the horn when new, like all Super 20 horns.

This is a very nice King Super 20 ALTO with full pearl key-touches from the Cleveland factory era, and in good, original condition. It should bring well over $2000 from a genuine buyer (i.e. not a retailer looking to turn a profit), and is the same horn that Charlie Parker and Cannonball Adderly played.

I'd hang on to it, because these are choice horns indeed. However, if you want to sell the horn for a good profit, look at placing an ad here, or other musician oriented forums/sources. Stay away from Ebay, Pawnshops, Retailers etc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts