Sax on the Web Forum banner

My oh my...now thats how to play a tenor!!!!! Hank mobley

7K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  SiB0717 
#1 ·
SITTING BACK ENJOY A GLASS OF WINE AND SOME HANK MOBLEY.....
THOUGHT I'D SHARE IT WITH YOU. PULL UP A CHAIR AND A GLASS, AND ENJOY!

#2 ·
What a great clip, thanks for sharing.

Years ago I used to know a guy who sounded EXACTLY like Mobley, from his tone to phrasing, everything. I asked him if he did it on purpose, and he said "Let me put it this way...I've worn headphones when I go to bed, playing Hank Mobley, for the past 13 years."

I think I need to go break out a 2005 Cab I've been meaning to drink for the past couple of weeks.

- Saxaholic

#5 ·
After listening to hundreds of tenor players over the years, I came across Hank Mobley. I never would have thought to have a favorite player, but he fills the spot and how! The man could play everything from ballads to hard bop. For me his tone and phrasing are one of the best ever heard. I absolutely love him...

#20 ·
Soul Station was the first album I got with Mobley, after getting a recommendation here at SOTW. I got so hooked on his music that now I have around 50 albums with him, including almost all his own albums (around 30) from the 1955 debut to the 1970s, plus all the albums I could find with him playing as a sideman from the early days with Max Roach in 1953, Dizzy Gillespie in 1954, and onwards with Jazz Messengers, Dizzy Reece, Kenny Drew, Kenny Dorham, Herbie Hancock, Grant Green, JJ Johnson, Sarah Vaughan, Lee Morgan, Art Farmer, Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Smith, Freddie Hubbard and others.

Hank Mobley plays just beautifully, definitely my favorite tenor player.

Just at the moment my favorite album is Curtain Call.

#10 ·
I could listen to nothing but Hank Mobley for a month & feel completely satisfied. Like Neff, Soul Station is the only album I have...but I've probably listened to it about 200 times. Those more familiar with Mobley's work want to recommend a few other albums for us to check out?

#21 ·
I like Mobley's playing, I have more then 10 cd's with him on it but except for workout, another workout, soul station and roll call he leaves me cold. His playing is nice and all but If i want to listen to bebop i'll rather listen to sonny stitt instead and if want to listen to someone with a smooth tone i'll rather listen to zoot sims/richi kamuca.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.