Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
What a great clip, thanks for sharing.

Years ago I used to know a guy who sounded EXACTLY like Mobley, from his tone to phrasing, everything. I asked him if he did it on purpose, and he said "Let me put it this way...I've worn headphones when I go to bed, playing Hank Mobley, for the past 13 years."

I think I need to go break out a 2005 Cab I've been meaning to drink for the past couple of weeks.

- Saxaholic

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My pleasure!

SOUL STATION KILLS ME EVERY TIME I HEAR IT! IT NEVER GETS OLD...JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER!!!!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
After listening to hundreds of tenor players over the years, I came across Hank Mobley. I never would have thought to have a favorite player, but he fills the spot and how! The man could play everything from ballads to hard bop. For me his tone and phrasing are one of the best ever heard. I absolutely love him...

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
It sure does help to have a rhythm section like that. You could play whole notes and sound like a god.
That is exactly what I love about Mobes is that you can really learn from listening to his playing. B

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I could listen to nothing but Hank Mobley for a month & feel completely satisfied. Like Neff, Soul Station is the only album I have...but I've probably listened to it about 200 times. Those more familiar with Mobley's work want to recommend a few other albums for us to check out?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I have Workout and The Best of the Blue Note Years which are both good albums as is Tenor Conclave where he's joined by Trane, Sims, and Cohn.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Other than Soul Station, I recommend:

Horace Silver & the Jazz Messengers
No Room for Squares
Straight, no Filter

·
Registered
161 Posts
:shock: What kind of comment is that? Whaler made a great point. Don't be a prick.
This guy just posted something pretty snarky to a question I asked. It was uncalled for, and when I read this, the tone can be read as a left handed compliment aimed at Hank, giving credit to the rhythm section for how good it sounds.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The only album I have of his is Soul Station. I have to check out some of his others.
Soul Station was the first album I got with Mobley, after getting a recommendation here at SOTW. I got so hooked on his music that now I have around 50 albums with him, including almost all his own albums (around 30) from the 1955 debut to the 1970s, plus all the albums I could find with him playing as a sideman from the early days with Max Roach in 1953, Dizzy Gillespie in 1954, and onwards with Jazz Messengers, Dizzy Reece, Kenny Drew, Kenny Dorham, Herbie Hancock, Grant Green, JJ Johnson, Sarah Vaughan, Lee Morgan, Art Farmer, Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Smith, Freddie Hubbard and others.

Hank Mobley plays just beautifully, definitely my favorite tenor player.

Just at the moment my favorite album is Curtain Call.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts