Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see very little about my HR NY model ever posted on here even though I sell one a week. I just thought I'd bring some attention to it. You rarely see them used on eBay. They're really like a great Meyer. Phil

·
Registered
353 Posts
Phil's NY models are very much like a meyer, but more refined in the finishing process. They look a play very nice for a meyer-type mouthpiece.

I had one in a 6M facing. It reminded me of a smoother sounding Meyer 'G' and sounded warmer. I was able to get a Kenny Garrett vibe going on when I really pushed the piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
How would you compare it to a Morgan Jazz piece? I've wanted to try a HR NY but wasn't sure what to expect.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
patseguin said:
How would you compare it to a Morgan Jazz piece? I've wanted to try a HR NY but wasn't sure what to expect.
That's a question for someone else. I don't remember the last time I even saw one of those. Phil

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The nearest I can come to this is to say I play both Barone Jazz and Morgan Excalibur mpc's on alto (see my signature). The Morgan is warmer, but a touch edgier. I find the Barone better in concert band as I can get it to blend better, but the Morgan is just a bit smoother to play.

I also have Morgan Jazz on tenor, but discarded the Barone Vitage; oddly enough, I couldn't get on with that too well.

On soprano, I prefer my Morgan J to the Barone Vintage, mostly becsuae of the wider opening as the Barone I bought is too narrow for my tastes. The Morgan is also warmer.

So, Morgans win for me, but I have two Barones which remain as first reserves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts