Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing on a UMI #2. What should I consider next?
I have a friend who says that everyone upgrades to metal. Is there even a smidgen of truth to that?
He also says it gives a brighter tone. I want a mellow, more Stan Getz tone.

Please offer some suggestions.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I would say the general consensus, at least on this forum, is that material has little or no effect on "brightness" or "darkness" of a mouthpiece. There are dark metal mouthpieces and bright hard rubber ones. The sound of a mouthpiece is determined mainly by the size of its chamber and how much (if any) baffle it has. Also, an experienced player can make a given mouthpiece sound brighter or darker by using his/her ears and airstream. I'm not familiar with the piece you have, but you may very well be able to get the effect you want on that one with practice.

Having said that, if you want to sound like Getz, you probably want a piece with a large chamber and a low baffle. We can certainly go further and recommend specific mouthpieces to you. What's your budget?

p.s. Also, it's definitely not true that "everyone upgrades to metal." Just to give one example, I believe Getz himself played hard rubber for his entire career.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I second everything MrBlueNote said above.

Moreover, a quick look around at photos of current players will show you that most of the top current jazz tenor saxophonists (e.g., Joshua Redman, Joel Frahm, Mark Turner, Walter Smith III, Bob Mintzer, David Sanchez, Ben Wendel, Bob Reynolds, etc.) play on hard rubber pieces.

I myself have always been more comfortable on metal mouthpieces on tenor, both because prefer the smaller profile of metal pieces (I started on alto) and because I feel that it makes it easier to switch back and forth from soprano.

If you get a chance to play test a metal mouthpiece, you should, and you can decide to buy one if you prefer the feel of it. Just don't buy one because you expect it to sound different. All other things being equal, I would suggest that you stick with an HR mouthpiece. They are cheaper than metal mouthpieces of comparable quality, easier to work, and easier to fit ligatures to.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Metal pieces are most certainly brighter sounding when you drop them on a tiled floor.
They tend to sound warmer when dropped on timber floors.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The claim that everybody upgrades to metal is pure nonsense.
My impression (though I may be wrong) is that the more extreme "paint-stripper" mouthpieces are often made in metal, but the brightest, loudest mouthpiece I have ever played was a rubber one.
Metal mouthpieces don't necessarily sound different, but they do feel different. You may feel more comfortable with one or the other.
And if you want bling, then a metal mouthpiece is the way to go - preferably gold-plated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The best advice I ever got as a young player looking for a mouthpiece was to try as many mouthpieces as possible and find the one that works for me. And I agree with everyone else, you don't "need" to upgrade to metal. I played a metal for a while, but I'm back to hard rubber.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,951 Posts
I'm playing on a UMI #2. What should I consider next?I have a friend who says that everyone upgrades to metal. Is there even a smidgen of truth to that?He also says it gives a brighter tone. I want a mellow, more Stan Getz tone.Please offer some suggestions.
Politely tell your friend he is wrong.

Stan Getz sounded nice and mellow when he was playing a metal mouthpiece.

Try as many different mouthpieces as you can but bear in mind generally the decent metal mouthpieces cost more than HR or resin, so if you are on a budget you will probably get better vale from HR or resin.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There is, of course, the important matter of whether a metal mouthpiece is more cool than a rubber one.

·
28,951 Posts
There is, of course, the important matter of whether a metal mouthpiece is more cool than a rubber one.
Which is the reason I bought my first mouthpiece, a Lawton.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
As others have said, your friend is mistaken. Metal mps are not necessarily an "upgrade" over HR, nor are they inherently brighter sounding. There are good and bad, bright and dark mouthpieces from both materials. Which one you should use will come down to personal preference. For me, I just tend to feel more comfortable with HR: they're generally larger in size, which helps me to keep a relaxed embouchure, and the rubber just feels more comfortable than cold hard metal, for some reason. Your experience may be entirely different.

Best thing to do would be to try as many mouthpieces as you can. Most decent shops will let you try mouthpieces. Unfortunately, there really isn't any way to know what will work for you except to try various mouthpieces for yourself.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Why not grab the cloned "Stan Getz" model made by …….(I forget who)

I saw one on FleaBay , only a couple hundred clams. I think they have 2 sizes and you get tooth imprints too.

Hey all jokes aside, not kidding I'd like to try one my self....

·
28,951 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts