Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going out on tour as the Head Audio/A1 for the new Blue Man Group tour: Speechless.

I'm in NYC doing shop prep for another week. Flew in late Wednesday and spent two days at the shop, and all of next week. Then on the 11th I fly home for one night and then we start load in at in Fayettville, Arkansas to do 5 weeks of tech and rehearsals before launching our U.S. National tour. We'll be out until mid June of 2020 except for a break in December for the holidays.

For you audio nerds out there; I'll be mixing on a Digico SD10, somewhere around 100 input channels (yeah, that's for three Blue Men on stage and two musicians), playback from Q-Lab, live synths from Ableton, and 3D imaging processing with the new L-Acoustics L-ISA 3D imaging audio system. There's only like 12 channels of wireless on this show. And no on stage fold back since everyone is on IEMs. The PA system is FIVE hangs of L-Acoustics Kara arrays, 54 cabinets! with the SB18 subs. Probably somewhere right around four semi trucks for the set, lights, audio, props, costumes, etc...

This is a brand new show with all new songs and content. If you have a chance to see it, it should be good. Come by FOH and say hi if you do.

Blue Man Group Speechless tour

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,360 Posts
Cool! Maybe you should bring a sax… just in case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,345 Posts
Sounds like a very cool gig. I'm curious - do you take the entire stage crew with you on the road, or pick up local sub-contractors to do the heavy lifting?

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a very cool gig. I'm curious - do you take the entire stage crew with you on the road, or pick up local sub-contractors to do the heavy lifting?
We take department heads, and usually assistants, on the road. We will be hiring local stage hands, usually IATSE crews in each location to provide the bulk of the labor to get up and running, and occasionally some run crew spots, like deck audio, flymen, spot light operators, etc...

·
1,345 Posts
I just saw on Playbill that you will be in Knoxville next spring. Got the dates marked down. You will love the Tennessee Theatre. Fabulous acoustics and a total restoration about 10 years ago. I play a couple concerts there every year (Mighty Musical Mondays), and it is a blast.

It's also right in the heart of downtown, with multiple restaurants and hotels within a short walk.

·
1,345 Posts
JC,

Any word on when the tour might resume? I was just about to buy tickets when the SHTF.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JC,

Any word on when the tour might resume? I was just about to buy tickets when the SHTF.
Nothing I can talk about yet.

My gut tells me we won't be back on the road this year. I think we'll know a lot more by mid June.

To be honest, I don't see any way for the arts, entertainment and live events industry to come back before a vaccine is available. Lost of mayors and governors for large markets are already stating that they won't permit large public events for at least a year.

It's going to be long dark road ahead of us for many, many months.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JC,

@Saxhound, in which city/venue were you going to buy your tickets?

I'm starting to get some preliminary info for next year and I can check to see if that city/venue is on the schedule. Although, at this point, the schedule has been changing once or twice a week. And may continue to change once we get out on the road if things flare back up again in the fall/winter.

But the company is trying hard to get back out on the road by late August.

In the mean time, here's a time lapse video that my A2 put together of our load-in and load out. This was about a week before we got shut down by the Coronapocalypse.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Wow, seeing that time laps is enlightening. I would not have believed the amount of setup if I had not seen that.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm in Knoxville.
We just got the official word today. The tour is cancelled until March 2021 at the earliest. Everything I was hearing about schedule and route for next year is now in the trash and don't know if I will even be on the tour next year.

I'm going to have to find something to do to fill in the gap until it starts back up.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Lots of hands on unemployment or less right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts