Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it back from tech Jim Mettler in LA. He fixed the B tonehole, everything looks sound. I am having some problems with stuffiness but only on the spatula notes, like low Bb and B seem a little hard to blow, but maybe it's just the design of the A901. I really like the ergos of this alto and the sound is very versatile.



 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SaxyAcoustician said:
Man, that horn looks like it's been around. Awesome. :)

The horn shouldn't be stuffy anywhere. Get yourself a leak light (rope light for <$5 at your local hardware store) and inspect it yourself.
right it plays really nice except for the low C#, low B and Bb, which don't seem to pop out so easily right now, but when they do the sound is loud and full. Maybe I just need to get used to it? The pads are not exactly new, the seller said at least 2-3 years old. I will get a light tonight and take a look.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
14,268 Posts
Look CLOSELY at the G# while you work the left pinky table . . . maybe that pad is rising ever so slightly when it should remain shut. DAVE
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dave Dolson said:
Look CLOSELY at the G# while you work the left pinky table . . . maybe that pad is rising ever so slightly when it should remain shut. DAVE
Dave, that is it, exactly. I am using a bit of electrical tape on top of the G# to help keep it closed. Thanks.

It is playing fine now! I am very happy!
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
14,268 Posts
Isn't there a little adjustment-screw over the G#pad-cup - one with a piece of cork next to the cup? Screw in that screw a tad (make sure the other connections are not affected, though) until the cork rests against the pad-cup, holding it closed. DAVE
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Way to go Dave Dolson!

You gotta respect a guy who can diagnose a horn without ever playing it or even seeing it in person.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, I screwed it in a bit and it fixed it. But, now I'm having a little trouble with the response of the Eb. I am about to file down a bit of the felt so the pad opens up more to try to fix it.

edit: taking out the felt did nothing, so I put it back in, and am just playing it. With enough air support its not really a problem, but sometimes it is not responding perfect I don't think. Maybe it is just my blowing technique since it's a new horn for me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
knightofsteppe said:
With enough air support its not really a problem, but sometimes it is not responding perfect I don't think. Maybe it is just my blowing technique since it's a new horn for me...
Are you talking both middle and low Eb? If you're sitting with the horn between your legs make sure you're not muffling the Eb tone hole.

It can be a support issue and a voicing issue. It can be a mouthpiece issue as well. Every make/model will be different so it's a matter of getting used to your particular horn and compensating for any idiosyncrasies.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well it's been getting better as I've been experimenting with reeds and mouthpieces, but I noticed some of gunk and hairs in the pads, so I've been treating the pads with powder paper and it's been helping a little, I think. I should mention that the B tonehole was smashed in on one side and the tech fixed it and got it back to me in very little time for a reasonable cost. It just seems to be giving me a weird response around low/mid E and F, but it's not terrible just a bit stuffy sometimes.

edit: it's better but still a tad bit stuffy overall! Sound is amazing tho :( Leak light time...

SaxyAcoustician said:
Are you talking both middle and low Eb? If you're sitting with the horn between your legs make sure you're not muffling the Eb tone hole.

It can be a support issue and a voicing issue. It can be a mouthpiece issue as well. Every make/model will be different so it's a matter of getting used to your particular horn and compensating for any idiosyncrasies.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got the leak light but cant see any leaks. I'll check again at night when it's easier to see. I oiled the keys and that seemed to help too. And just a little practice getting used to her... I am getting a nice response now throughout with a bit of healthy resistance which I think is just the way it plays. But I don't think it's leaking because I can subtone a low Bb with no problems. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the leak light indicated there is a little leak around the mid F pad, but maybe just playing it is helping to reseat it, because it's sounding better all the time. I love the design, big bell and bore with smaller toneholes for a more refined sound and better intonation. I never played a Super 20 but isn't this what the Yani is modeled after, more or less? I think this is one of the best saxes I ever played, the sound is bold and mellow at the same time. I wonder how it would stack up against a vintage Buescher Aristocrat? So far is it just as good imo as a Buescher if it had a tiny bit better low volume response, but I assume this is from the leaks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
Now that is a taken care of horn! I think horns with that type of wear have a better feek to them, just because you can tell that it has been taken care of. Looks like it has a great ergonomical setup.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ChuBerry47 said:
Now that is a taken care of horn! I think horns with that type of wear have a better feek to them, just because you can tell that it has been taken care of. Looks like it has a great ergonomical setup.
The ergos are the best part, along with the precise intonation. Each key feels perfectly balanced in weight, heavy and solid, very slick and smooth overall.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
That is exactly what I was thinking. The keywork makes you pay no attention at all to the lacquer. The Japanese really know what they are doing, (or were). Great horn. If you do not mind me asking, how much did you purchase it for?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ChuBerry47 said:
That is exactly what I was thinking. The keywork makes you pay no attention at all to the lacquer. The Japanese really know what they are doing, (or were). Great horn. If you do not mind me asking, how much did you purchase it for?
I was lucky enough to find someone interested in an alto I had for sale on ebay, and since I stated I was looking for A901, he contacted me with a trade offer and I agreed. But the B tonehole was not in good shape, it was bent on the side when I got it, I was lucky to have gotten that repaired, but it looks like it's going to still need some fine-tuning to work out the smaller leaks (?) I am enjoying playing it very much though, and I don't feel like I got the worse end of the deal at all considering how much I like it, although I horn I gave him was playing perfectly. I guess with e-bay you never know..
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top