Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ! First post, first Saxophone first need for advice! I just bought the Yani ( please let me use this abbreviated name for my Yanagisawa A-901 even though i am totally nobe !) and i am looking forward to receive it !
As i told you i am a beginner and next week i will have my first lesson. Maybe its a bit early question - taking into account that i havent played the instrument
yet- but will i be able to play without so much effort with the Yani 5 hard rubber mouthpiece or i should buy a "beginner" one? Lets say S-80, 4c Yamaha or whatever other?
Also whatever you recommend please combine it with a "beginner" reed!

Thanks in advance for your help and welcome me in your excellent community!:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
kos: Welcome to SOTW . . . and congrats on the new saxophone. I think you've chosen the best-made saxophone on the market today.

The new Yanagisawas come with a stock Yanagisawa mouthpiece and many players like them. I don't, but that doesn't matter.

That mouthpiece should serve you well until you develop some playing skill . . . and might even work for you as an advanced player. We all react differently to mouthpieces. I wouldn't be too concerned about mouthpieces just yet. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
The stock Yani mouthpiece is a good one--much better than the ones that come with most saxes, but not too open for a beginner. Your teacher will recommend a reed, but if you're eager to get one now you might try a Rico 2 1/2.

Congratulations on your choice of sax. You'll be very happy with the A901.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
kos2797 said:
I just bought the Yani ( please let me use this abbreviated name for my Yanagisawa A-901 even though i am totally nobe !)
Hey Kos, welcome!

I see you have been reading through some of the threads and have come under the influence
of the legions of SOTW posters who still haven't figured out that it's a YanAgisawa. :D
You're gonna love your new YanA! :twisted:

And I agree with the other posters. If you are starting out the mpc that comes with the sax is going to serve you well. When they, Yamaha, and others designed these mpcs to come with their saxes, they designed them especially with you in mind.;)

Enjoy!!! and don't be a stranger.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The stock yani piece is excellent. When I pirate my youngest's yani sc-991 curved sop I use the stock yani 5 the sax came with. A selmer C* may serve you better because it is a meduim close facing. The yani 5 that came w/ your sax is a little more open(but definetely doable for a novice if you want to use piece sax came with)).

·
Banned
29 Posts
I just got a used A901 and it's getting the kinks sorted out in the shop. But from playing it briefly I was pretty much in heaven, but it was leaky. But I felt like it could go from warm and mellow to brilliant and powerful. Great ergos AND sound/intonation make a great sax. Very flexible tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
gary said:
I see you have been reading through some of the threads and have come under the influence
of the legions of SOTW posters who still haven't figured out that it's a YanAgisawa. :D A
There's also an I in Yanagisawa. But if it makes you happier, Gary--YAN'I ;)

And saying Yani avoids confusion with Yama.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I have a 902 and I absolutely love it. You are very lucky to get it as your beginner sax.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am very happy with your words !! i am eager to receive it ! i follow your advice and i will use the stock one . I have read a lot of articles here and i think i just want to grab everything in one day !

BUT I AM REALLY EXCITED ! !

Can i post a photo when i get it?? If i can i will definitely do it:)

Cheers
Kostas

ps and also i am happy being a member of this community! thanks again

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
...someone call my name?!

:twisted:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts