Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just received this 301xxx TH&C alto, it is my first alto. Always played tenor!

Just wondering about the colour, do you think it has been relacquered?

Regards!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
A better picture would be nice. Unless it's the lighting, that is a very very dark lacquer and not original, except that the engraving appears to be cut through the dark lacquer. Is it possible the engraving was recut, or is it just a photo that makes the lacquer look almost brown.

I sup[ose if it was relacquered over the engraving, and there was still dirt or grease in the engraving cuts, then the lacquer might come away just round the engraving. Mine is like that but only ion a couple of places.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some better pictures. I took the other at work with my I-Phone. Hope these ones are better.

Did all TH&C have the rod´s nicquel Plated or did some have it lacquered, there is a difference in colour between the rod´s and the body of the sax though.

Also the thumb rest seems to have been lacquer, i thought on Bueschers they were always silver.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
Those photos are much better. Still, it's hard to tell from a photo, but the engraving looks sharp to me. Looks like original lac, just based on those photos (not really enough evidence to say for sure though). How's the horn play? That's what really matters, at least as long as you aren't planning on selling it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How's the horn play? That's what really matters, at least as long as you aren't planning on selling it.
To be honest, the whole alto thing is new to me, so I haven´t found the right setting yet... Just got it today and played it with a mouthpiece someone gave me years ago, had to go and buy reeds etc... Must say soundwise it sounded quite powerful!

But it defenitly needs adjusting and pads...

So we´ll see if it is a keeper or not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Those photos are much better. Still, it's hard to tell from a photo, but the engraving looks sharp to me. Looks like original lac, just based on those photos (not really enough evidence to say for sure though). How's the horn play? That's what really matters, at least as long as you aren't planning on selling it.
I'm with JL. From the second set of pictures I'd have to guess that the lacquer is original. Get it tweaked up and let us know how it plays. These are pretty mouthpiece friendly so most any decent alto mouthpiece should work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
all original. Check if the additional F# and C keycups has the green felt thingy glued to the bars for timing regulation. If so there's a huge chance that horn's even a factory setup.

·
23,013 Posts
If so there's a huge chance that horn's even a factory setup.
In which case you'll want to get the horn worked on by a competent tech. Whatever the setup is, I'll bet it could use some work. Makes a HUGE difference to have it in top playing condition.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all original. Check if the additional F# and C keycups has the green felt thingy glued to the bars for timing regulation. If so there's a huge chance that horn's even a factory setup.
The Bottom C has green felt glued to the pad cup guard bars (If thats what you mean), same as Eb. Alternative F# hasn´t...

The pivots, rods, neckstrap, thumb guard are kinda in da same colour as the body (Although kind worn out on some places and silver comes to light) I´m quite convinced the body is original, but I think those things might of been lacquered at some point, or can nicquel corrode in some kind of golden colour? Because if I gently scratch it with my nails the golden colour goes off and silver shows...

Will visit the tech the coming week, it does need some overhaul... Must say I am impressed and happy with the sound although I have a ****** Earlham metal mouthpiece (Gotta get me a decent one soon).

·
4,507 Posts
The gold is lacquer over the entire thing (nickel and brass) Nickel silver has no actual silver in it, it's actually a white brass. It does looks kind of goldish when exposed to certain elements. They lacquered over the entire horn. The rods are solid not plated. The lacquer kind of masks off the 2 different materials, it didn't look like a 2 tone horn from the factory.

I second JL's comments on how it should be setup. The felt regulation things you should be looking on are glued to a bar that rides ontop of each stack keys when actioned. I mean, the key that goes down when you press either F, E or D keys, and the key taht goes down when you press B or A keys. If that's regulated with green felt, I'd be inclined to believe it's an all original from factory horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Just received this 301xxx TH&C alto, it is my first alto.
Hey, man, *my* TH&C alto is a 301xxx. I just checked and it's still there, so I'm guessing they're not the same horn. Howzit play?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
That looks as original as they get. Whaddya pay? (I probably don't want to know).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks as original as they get. Whaddya pay? (I probably don't want to know).
Make a wild guess, what do you think would of been a good price?

Hey, man, *my* TH&C alto is a 301xxx. I just checked and it's still there, so I'm guessing they're not the same horn. Howzit play?
I guess you were relieved knowing yours was still there, haha, mine is s/n 30196x.

The gold is lacquer over the entire thing (nickel and brass) Nickel silver has no actual silver in it, it's actually a white brass. It does looks kind of goldish when exposed to certain elements. They lacquered over the entire horn. The rods are solid not plated. The lacquer kind of masks off the 2 different materials, it didn't look like a 2 tone horn from the factory.

I second JL's comments on how it should be setup. The felt regulation things you should be looking on are glued to a bar that rides ontop of each stack keys when actioned. I mean, the key that goes down when you press either F, E or D keys, and the key taht goes down when you press B or A keys. If that's regulated with green felt, I'd be inclined to believe it's an all original from factory horn.
I guess it hasn´t got the green felt you mean, on the regulation bar, it has cork (See photo)

As you can see the neck starp is from nickel, but as you can see the rod´s are kinda lacquered, i´m not sure if its supposed to be like that and as you can see on some spots the nickel comes through... Should I leave it like that?

·
4,507 Posts
stop scratching your horn man :tsk: , It's all original and looks exactly how an all original horn should look after all these years! :bluewink:
I think it's an all original horn, I'll show you pictures of where to look for the green felt as you're not following my lead and I'm not being clear on the explanation :mrgreen:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stop scratching your horn man :tsk: , It's all original and looks exactly how an all original horn should look after all these years! :bluewink:
I think it's an all original horn, I'll show you pictures of where to look for the green felt as you're not following my lead and I'm not being clear on the explanation :mrgreen:
Hahahaha, yes sir Caino! You make it sound like a wacko scratching the horn all day, haha.

I just thought TH&C´s where always 2 toned, with the pivot´s etc in nickel, I guess not...

And yes, I keep on guessing where the hell that green felt is you mean. It´s got green felt all over the place.

By the way thank you all for the replies and interes! Guess I got stung with the Buescher fever and want to know everything about them!

·
23,013 Posts
As you can see the neck starp is from nickel, but as you can see the rod´s are kinda lacquered, i´m not sure if its supposed to be like that and as you can see on some spots the nickel comes through... Should I leave it like that?
Man, the finish on that horn is in great shape if it's original, which it appears to be. I'd suggest you quit worrying about all those details on the finish (yes, leave it alone!) and get the horn overhauled or whatever it needs mechanically to put it into top playing condition. You won't be sorry if you do that! The finish has no effect on how the horn plays & sounds, as I know you know.

I bet whatever you paid for it you got a great deal. If these Bueschers were offered at the price they should get and they are really worth, no one would buy them (thinking they were priced too high). Put the cash you saved into getting it serviced by a competent tech.

Check out this thread: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?158528-Take-your-Sax-to-the-Doctor

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bet whatever you paid for it you got a great deal. If these Bueschers were offered at the price they should get and they are really worth, no one would buy them (thinking they were priced too high). Put the cash you saved into getting it serviced by a competent tech.

Check out this thread: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?158528-Take-your-Sax-to-the-Doctor
I think I got a fair deal, payed $1900 US, incl. Shipping & a new Protec Bag. Will leave it at the tech end of the week. Keep you posted how it sounds/ plays after!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Ummm.... I really don't want to know how you came across a $3k horn for $1900....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts