Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i just took delivery of my " great neck Brill ". Firstly, thankyou to Peteroping ( i think that is right; once i know a name, i forget their " N. de. P " ). Anyhow, here it is. I have made a couple of errors. Bought a couple of mpcs. that proved unsuitable. Without going over old ground, i physically cannot play wide metal mpcs. any more. I gotta be real careful. I have a torn chest muscle. An old injury. When i get stressed over my predicament, i push way too hard...forcing, tense. I need to ease my way into this. Man i hope it will work out. It is such a different mpc.....so close. May i ask for comments, tips, the lowdown from those of you that play these mpcs. I really would appreciate it, i need to make this work....i mean Really Work!....many thanks....a

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Congrats on the new piece! I sometimes play an old Ebolin. Very nice sound with a 3.5 Legere.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
warpx...how are you man? Thankyou. Not tried Legere; as i mentioned, i am tired of injuries. Would you say harder reeds are a big part of the picture. I have always used orange box Rico #2. However...that has been on 8 and 9 t.o. Really need a period of free blowing man. Just chilling out and getting a feel for it. I really want to grab a tenor and play. However, i gotta give this muscle tear a few more days to calm down. I can work on relaxing into the mpc.alone. I have come to realise, there really is no hurry. Things are looking up man. Bedankt..a

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
I have a modern Ebolin 5 mouthpiece that is my favorite of everything tenor I have tried. Warp X is correct. Play it with 3 or 3 1/2 (Rico orange box for me or La Voz Med). Have heard the vintage ones play nicer, but I have never tried one.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kelpie. Yeah...it is a beautiful mpc. The shank was cracked. It has been reinforced with a brass ring. Gives it a real nice weighty feel. Used to play a Roc; the ring was standard on the model. All good man.....peace

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Thanks Kelpie. Yeah...it is a beautiful mpc. The shank was cracked. It has been reinforced with a brass ring. Gives it a real nice weighty feel. Used to play a Roc; the ring was standard on the model. All good man.....peace
The British made Brilhart mouthpieces all had the brass ring on the shank as standard too. Maybe you have a British one?
I used to play a British made Ebolin on alto until I wore it out. It had a really great sound. I would like to get it refaced and back in shape as I much preferred the sound to my current morgan fry alto piece. I think the Brilhart's can be really good with a medium hard reed set-up.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Enjoy the Brilly adrian!

I currently play a Brilhart Personaline "made in England" S5. It has become my favorite. I do think it could use a "cleaning" up by Phil though. As soon as I get a backup piece I will send it to you Phil. I love the Link I got from you, but have gone in a different direction on my sound. I am still trying to find another one of these. I have looked at 2 others but neither are exactly what I am looking for. At the price these bring I may as well be patient and get another just like I want.
More pics: http://www.kingsuper20.com/images/personaline/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts