Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Initially yes, I wanted dark and focused. Ultimately however I entrusted in Matt's expertise. I told him to work his magic on the mouthpiece. He created more of a free blowing style curve on the baffle. Opened it up, brightened it up a little. In his experience this really opens up the projection and resonance of a link, you get more juice and power enabling you to create more with the sound. It's more responsive now and even throughout all ranges of the horn he had noted.

I'll be giving it a go tonight or tomorrow! Once I get my sound booth sorted I can play it properly and see how it sounds and plays.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
I've been playing on an early rabbit 5* link for the last few months, so this will be a breathe of fresh air!
You should have tried an "Old Rabbit", we all know they play much better. :bluewink:

Hope you're new modified Link will bring for you what you are looking for.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Felt like an update:)
- I was mistaken when I read Matt's comment. He noted that he made my link as bight as he could after the changes he made.
He flattened the baffle allot. It's hardly noticeable and goes down in a U type bend if that makes sense, it's also very long. My sax tech said it looks allot like a Tone master meets STM NY model.
It's extremely dark and velvety, focused but smooth. It plays a hell of allot better than it did, It has to be the best playing / easiest controlling mouthpiece I've ever played. Sadly I don't dig the tone (For my personal preference) - Which is why I turned around and ordered one of his Double ring legacy's (It's brighter and more resonant than my link) When I get it I'll be throwing my link up for sale.
The link changed the type of reeds I can play - 3H or 3M are far to stiff now! I've dropped to a 2H for the time being. - My embouchure also needs to be re-developed. I was playing on a 5* for 4 months (With 4M reeds) and prior to getting my sound booth set up I spent 6 weeks playing as quietly as possible in my closet (Formed a habit of just biting on the reed to keep it even quieter) It's frustrating as I can't play for nearly as long as I used to before I start to bite but It's a habit I can easily correct over the coming months.
Everything is settled now. Settled into my new job, settled into my sound booth, settled into my new life. I can focus on my music and making technical improvements with my playing.

Very excited for the new mouthpiece, and I'm also excited for whomever ends up with my Vintage Link - It's truly a masterpiece! I'm just looking for different sound qualities. I have a really cool Echo Master Brillhart Ligature on order as well to fit the new MP. I'll be throwing my SS Ishimori up for sale once that gets here.

Good times.

Merry Christmas everyone:)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts