Sax on the Web Forum banner

My New Rue Lapis Mouthpiece from Sopranoplanet is Fantastic!

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Joe Giardullo 
#1 ·
Hi, I felt I must let you know how pleased I am with my Rue Lapis mouthpiece from Joe at sopranoplanet, I am fairly new to this forum and the curved sop.but the help I have got when I posted is fantastic! I have struggled whith my new Bauhaus Walstein bronze curvy sop a bit over the last couple of months I have owned it and might have given up if I had not got help from you on the forum, it is great to get help from all over the globe as I am based in Worcester England where time stands still! after geting the sax checked and corrected at my local music store, I fitted my new Rue Lapis hard rubber mouthpice (which joe at sopranoplanet had posted to me from USA) and only took about 5 days to get here.When I opened it it looked black and normal, but when I put it on and started to play the notes I had had trouble with ie low C D B Bflat (they always sounded honky loud and unmusical) with my original Yamaha 4c, but with the Rue Lapis I was able to play them with ease and they, like all the other notes on the sax sound so dark, smokey, full, rounded,rich,musical and quallity! I am over the moon with this mouthpiece and cant thank Joe enough for helping me along the way of my musical journey.I had tried a Selmer supersession i, Otto link tone edge 6 star, Yanagasawa, and Yamaha 4c, but this mouthpiece beats them all by miles!I have got the sound I want now (along the lines of Stan Getz, Paul Paul Desmond) A soft, airy, mellow,dark sound etc, as opposed to metalic, loud,edgy.shrill,(modern) I must add there is nothing wrong with this sound if you prefer it, it is just not for me thats all. So once again thanks Joe for a mouthpiece 'to die for' you realy know your stuff!
John

See less See more
#3 ·
The Rue Lapis design is not new. I wonder why is not listed.. also the via coro SJ. He updated his website and new designs come to play, so maybe he left them to make room to the new mouthpieces. Joe work is first class, and you will not be disappointed. I have owned three pieces from sopranoplanet, all of them by far, the best Mp's I have ever blow..

#5 ·
Well, I ordered a Rue Lapis from Joe, and it arrived yesterday and today I had a chance to play it a little on my BW curvie. It produces a very mellow tone with a Hahn #2 reed. It played the low notes effortlessly, and the higher notes spoke clearly and strongly. I really don't play sop all that much, so I'm not the best judge, but geez, for the dollars spent, it sure is worth it to be able to pick up the horn and play easily when I want to. Great purchase and Joe is great to work with!

#6 ·
Al, What is the tip opening on your Rue Lapis? I use Hahn #2s on a Via Coro SJ that I like a lot. Its great on my JK S90II and my stone Cannonball straight.

#7 ·
Hi, Joey,

Oooh boy... I don't know the tip opening - and I don't have a mouthpiece gauge to measure it with either. Joe and I really didn't specify the tip opening - I just told him my preferred reeds and size, and sound concept (like BeBopSop described in the first post), and Joe went from there. Hopefully, he'll see this post and respond with the tip size....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.