1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I use mine a great deal on flute and clarinet repair AND diagnosis. It is useful, but it is just a tool like any other. There is no magic or anything like that. . . . only frustration because of how sensitive the measurements tend to be. Welcome to the mad Mag club. May all your leaks be below 1. :)

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I have one I built for far less money. I don't use it a great deal. But it can be a valuable tool. I did buy the JL smith flute attachment for it.
Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Good purchase, I use mine as a final confirmation that everything is right and regulated after feeler gauging everything else. There a sort of confidence building machine, however the end result is always the play test

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
especially when doing flutes I find mine keeps me honest when it comes to using a light touch to set them up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone tell mw how to set the machine up for use? I tried setting the regulator at 1.0, and with free flow, make sure the dial is at 10, and when blocked with my finger the dial is on 0. Is this the correct way to setup the machine?

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Go to this link JLSmith Tool and Supply Instructions and clink on the Mag Machine. Since you didn't buy the Mag from JL, it might be nice to purchase something from his site someday to repay him for sharing this information for free. It helps vendors like JL Smith and Curt Alterac who share information so freely to remain in business when those who benefit give their support.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts