Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I should mention this as I appear to have joined the R & C club.

I bought this at the Frankfurt Musikmesse after testplaying it (and many other tenors) next to my Conn 10M.

Apart from the fact that it's so pretty (solid silver bell, bronze body, olive tree keytouches, it just has this enormous sound. It's the first of a new Rampone model called the "Two Voices", and I found it replaces the need for me to have two horns. Up until now my main tenors have been the 10M and a martin Committee III as they do do different things.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
is it a solid silver neck too,pete??

·
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it a solid silver neck too,pete??
No, the neck is silver plated. It is the neck I preferred after trying a couple, however I do intend to visit the factory and try out a few more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
wow, nice piece Pete. love the engravings!!
keen to hear your "reviews" and "recordings" after playing for a while.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,207 Posts
Pete is the rumor true that R+C horns have bad ergos? Love the key touches.

That horn looks like its built like a tank!

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Pete.
We all know that you bought the horn for the right reasons...for the way it plays.
However, you could have justifiably bought it for it for it's appearance....sheer jewellery...absolutely gorgeous.

·
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pete is the rumor true that R+C horns have bad ergos? Love the key touches.
No, at least it suits me fine. I am toying with the idea of slightly rounding off the keytouches though, but I might wait until I vist the factory and discuss that with Claudio before I do anything rash. It's not a big deal, just that I'm used to a less concave pearl

Pete.
We all know that you bought the horn for the right reasons...for the way it plays.
However, you could have justifiably bought it for it for it's appearance....sheer jewellery...absolutely gorgeous.
yes, the engraving is after an actual wood engraving by Carlo Casanova, it is of two towers in Quarna Sotto, where they are made

Pete was there a high f# version you could compare it to?
I never bother with high F#, to be honest I didn't even notice whether this horn had a high F# or not.

This is so far the only one of this model (The two voices) so no, there isn't a high F# one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
No, at least it suits me fine. I am toying with the idea of slightly rounding off the keytouches though, but I might wait until I vist the factory and discuss that with Claudio before I do anything rash. It's not a big deal, just that I'm used to a less concave pearl
Pete.
May I suggest that that you play it a while before making up your mind.
I have an R1 R&C tenor with similar shaped touches...strange at first but oh so comfortable when accustomed to the shape.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I'd love to hear a clip side-by-side with the 10m and Martin. Are you playing one of your PPT mpcs with it?

Gorgeous engraving, BTW. I've only played one R&C and it didn't do anything for me - and I wasn't a fan of the ergos. I'd have to play a bunch more to form any particular opinion on them though, could have been a dog.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That horns sound great, i'm thinking about buying one... what do you think about the intonation of the horn? rampone are known to have some issues....
How much has that cost to you if you don't mind i asked...

·
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That horns sound great, i'm thinking about buying one... what do you think about the intonation of the horn? rampone are known to have some issues.....
If this one had issues I wouldn't have bought it.

How much has that cost to you if you don't mind i asked...
I don't mind you asking but as I got a slight discount due to buying it from the UK distributor before it even hit the shop floor, I'm sure you'll appreciate it would be ungentlemanly of me to quote the exact price I paid. List price is 10,300 Euros. When you consider I could have got many of the horns there for trade price (or maybe free), buying this one has to be a testament to the effect it had on me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts