Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won a purple logo yamaha tenor 62 on ebay. It has since arrived and I have put several hours in the horn and, much to my surprise, came upon a discovery.

My YTS-62 has metal resonators! Doesn't Yamaha put plastic on all of their saxes? I am curious because it feels like the horn has a little extra something I could do without. Could the switch to plastic resos make the difference?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Many years back I had a 105K MarkVI tenor with plastic original resonators, got it overhauled and by Oleg. When I got it back it had Noyek(?) ruffled type metal resonators. From that point on there was a brightness to the sax that I didn't like. I ended up selling it and getting a better one later.
When I got my 91K overhauled by Randy Jones we decided to used the metal smooth Selmer copy resonators and its outstanding.No annoying tinny brightness like the Noyaks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
This is a re-pad, Yamaha fit plastic reso-s as standard. Must disagree with Pete on this one -- metal reflectors will affect the tone in the higher partials and this can be annoying, especially on a 'bright' horn.
Must agree with "Saxtripper" Noyeks should be called "Anoyeks"!! they distort the sound. I did a JK SX90 with "Maestro's" --the same principle--and it just would not blend with anything, even the tuner --digital--used to go haywire, picking up on the overtones and giving false readings. I was very surprised by these findings to be honest, like Pete I was sceptical about these claims of reflectors having such a big influence on tone. I have found by experience it is usually best to stick to original design when re-padding to keep the horns character.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,305 Posts
Must disagree with Pete on this one -- metal reflectors will affect the tone in the higher partials and this can be annoying, especially on a 'bright' horn.
Fair enough, it's all a matter of opinion. I've had a couple of yamaha altos, and I didn't find them overbright. I definitely think there is a noticeable difference between resonators and no resonators, but I haven't been able to discern any significant difference between metal and plastic. I have no experience of Noyeks so I just don't know about those specifically if that is what's on this horn.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Funny, years ago I specifically asked to get standard metal resonators on my tenor to make it a little louder.

I'm not sure it makes a much difference at all as far as tone being any brighter; I've generally played with a darker tone for a long time now.

Just my $0.02.

shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts