Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often play and attend events that involve camping and other rough conditions. I only bring out the horn when I can keep it reasonably well protected, but transporting and storage can be wet or otherwise difficult.
Rather than mess up my shiny new Kessler curved soprano, I decided to go right for a Pelican case.

After a lot of searching and measuring, I decided it could be possible to get the horn, accessories, and wireless mic rig all into the smallest Air case Pelican makes, the 1485. I did it, so I thought I’d share.

In this case:

-Curved soprano body + neck
-mouthpiece/ligature/cap
-reeds/cork grease/neck strap/swab/polish cloth/AA batteries (all in front left compartment)
-wireless mic
-wireless receiver
-AC adapter
-wireless belt pack
-2 foot mic cable

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,538 Posts
Nice, but an overkill, in my opinion, Pelican ( I am very familiar with them being a Photographer) are very heavy cases and unless you are going to places with pouring rainiy and muddy connditions ( which may be your case... ) you wouldn’t be much better off with this as I always was with a Protec.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a very sweet case for all your gear in one place. It reminds me of the Lomax cases for clarinet. Would you consider flying with that as a checked bag?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,538 Posts
if you are into traveling with heavy cases on a boat ( pelicans float and are waterproof so they may be used as a floatation device) and even come with a pressure compensation exhaust valve (necessary to open them after you have been in a plane), pelicans are great, it you like a small and informal , rather fetchy ( and not quite so flashy as in “ look at me I contain some high tech gear ” ) case which may pass for your small personal luggage, you want a Protec.

That's a very sweet case for all your gear in one place. It reminds me of the Lomax cases for clarinet. Would you consider flying with that as a checked bag?
I am not sure if you were talking of a Protec. If so, I theory you may do that (it is a hardshell case after all).

In practice it is that small that easily fits inside a cabin case (I’ve done that) and you can add your clothes too)

Pelican are technically capable to withstand more abuse but I am not sure that the content will (even thought the foam is great). Then there is the small detail of a pelican saying: " I have expensive gear in me” which may arise the curiosity of the less scrupulous among the luggage handlers in smaller airports.

Great to carry some thing but not so great to carry musical instruments (Again, I have used Pelican cases).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts