Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Navarro Bebop Special 7** for more than three years and love it. Over the last two years, a transitional Otto Link Double Ring 5* (which features a NY '5' on the table and a Florida small font '5*' on the side) has become my main metal piece. I was offered a s/h Navarro BopBoy last week, bought it, got it on Friday and....it blew my mind. Rafael's work is simply stunning, and my NY Double Ring has a great new partner and competitor. I will let both mouthpieces speak for themselves on two of my favourite horns: a 1956 Mark 6 which has no lacquer left and is covered with spots ("RagDoll") and my unbelievable near mint Conn Transitional Gold Lacquer Art Deco from 1930/31 ("Marlene")

Conn BopBoy

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66272036/conn bopboy.mp3

Mark 6 BopBoy

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66272036/mark 6 bopboy .mp3

Conn Link Double Ring

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66272036/cinn dr.mp3

Mark 6 Double Ring

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66272036/mark 6 dr .mp3

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
They all have a very nice sound. I would vote for the Mark 6 Double Ring as my preference.
I had the same problem recently comparing Navarro 7** vs Link STM no USA .104 on my Reference 36.
Even though the Navarro has a great sound, the Link seems to have an edge over it. NO PUN!
Most people who heard the comparison preferred the Link when it gets down to nit picking. Only a few disagreed with them.
Navarro is easier to play in some ways, but the Link is more satisfying to the player.
What difference did you notice between the BB Special & the Bop Boy? The Conn also has a great sound but I'm a Selmer guy for 60 years now and I'm satisfied with the 36.
Just play them all when you get the urge. Good luck. Sounds good.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I never tried a double ring but the BB is simply stated one of the most amazing HR pieces of today. Beyond its tonal qualities I like to fact that it can handle any kind of playing situation thanks to its great projection potential. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The BopBoy I have is a metal one (if I did not say so before). I feel for myself there is no better or worse in that case, it's just two wonderful mouthpieces with their own unique voices.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
To me the BB is a fantastic fit to the Conn and Double Ring matches the 6 best.

3,315 Posts
Hi there HB,

By fare the BB & Conn is the sound for me out of these four recordings intonation wise, and obviously tone wise.

Excellent combo!

Thanks for sharing, great A B comparison!

ps

I'm sure you love the ergo's on the Mk VI, however the sound and tuning is not a patch on the Conn in these recordings.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,467 Posts
You sound good on all combi's Heiner, but my personal preference was the Mark VI / DR followed by the Conn / BB.

I heard some reverb in all takes and for a real honest comparison you should (IMO!) try to avoid adding any effects (even as slightly as you did).

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reverb was added in the sum, not in the recording, and all parameters are the same for the four clips, so I guess the comparability will not have suffered. I guess I used a bit too much reverb this time because I mostly try to make it room information instead of FX.
Thanks for all your kind words.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Prefer the Double Ring, which seems to have more complexity/overtones... pretty similar sounding though from this end.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I would vote BB on the Conn. I know this is more about the mpc/horn combo but the Conn just sounds so much better than the Selmer. I'm listening through my mac using a AQ Dragonfly 1.2 DAC to a iFi headphone amp to my Senn HD650s and the Conn with the BB really does sound warm and fat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts