Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kalimba! I first came in contact with one of these when my band was invited to march at DisneyWorld a few months ago. Looked more into them and found out the good ones aren't that expensive. So I bought one at Sam Ash today. They're really cool. The one I bought is a Treble in the key of G.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Here's someone a lot better sounding than me on the instrument.

Earth, Wind, and Fire used these.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's great, really like it. Looks like a good quality instrument too. I have an old battered Kalimba that originally came from Africa but it sounds nothing like as good as that...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,962 Posts
they are beautiful instruments , some more complex ones are truly versatile and are not limited to a certain sequence on tones. Unfortunately not for me because of my blatant lack of coordination
this is a chromatic one

funny that it sounds a bit like a Indonesian Gamelan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for that Milandro...didn't know they came so big!...is that a Western innovation, or can you find them that size in Africa? All the Aftrican ones I've seen have been small hand-held ones...Interesting that the player is plucking some upwards and some downwards, I guess it doesn't matter which you do...best when amplified I suppose...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,962 Posts
tat is definitely a modern instrument made in the United States and called Array Mbira which is derived from the Mbira and as Wikipedia says these intruments are known under different names : ......... (also known as Likembe, Mbila, Thumb piano, Mbira Huru, Mbira Njari, Mbira Nyunga Nyunga, Karimbao or Kalimba).....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
For anyone interested in this kind of stuff check out the Congalese kings of electric thumb piano...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts