Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks as if this will be my new home for a while. I just bought a 586-LQ from Kessler. I did have a Buescher that I bought from WWBW for $500 and it never played in tune. I took it to the local sax guru and he could not get it to play right either. Thats what you get for $500. To bad they had to put a great name on a piece of junk.

I think I will be happy with the 586-LQ. From what I have read it is a great bang for the buck. I will be playing in Church and sitting on my front porch looking out over the country side scaring animals and killing birds. Any advice from you guys would be great on playing and setups.

Thanks,
Joshua

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The most popular recommendation for mouthpieces is the Selmer super sessions. That being said my daughter uses a selmer C* on her Yanagisawa SC-991 and I use a Selmer C** on my Selmer Super Action 80 series II soprano. When I play my daughter's SC-991 I use the Yanagisawa 5 mouthpiece that came w/ the sax w/ good results.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rpembert said:
I think I will be happy with the 586-LQ. From what I have read it is a great bang for the buck.
Easily the greatest bang for your buck when it comes to sopranos. Many contenders at alto and tenor though.

I'd recommend a RIA metal soprano mouthpiece but it's not being made anymore. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like my Super Soloist I ... another thumbs up for Selmer Mouthpieces for soprano...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I too like the Selmers. I use a Super Session E or an S-80 D. Any should work well on your horn. Lately I have benn putting Yamaha mouthpieces on my vintage horns. If you like a darker sound, the S-90 may work well. You need to get some sent to you to try. Maybe Kessler can send out a few.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Kessler said that the Super Session I was a good one to start with. I will be using Vandoren reeds for sure.

Thanks,
Joshua

1 - 6 of 6 Posts