Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post on SOW. Long time lurker, but nothing of value to say before.

I got my new Rampone & Cazzani copper saxello near the end of April, so I've had over a month and a half now to get to know it. I think that it's a cool enough instrument that others might be interested in it, hence this post.

First the look... I've attached a photo (stolen from Sax.co.uk who sold me the horn - hope that's o.k. folks at Sax.co.uk, but it's a great photo). So, as you can see, an un-lacquered copper body with silver plated key work. I know the look won't be for everyone, but I REALLY like it. In the six or seven weeks that I've been playing it I have never cleaned the outside and I've left it out on a stand. It's getting a bit darker and mottled, which I like even more!

I bought it because my Selmer Series II soprano and I never really bonded, even after 20 years of being together. Before that, I owned a beautiful SML soprano that I sold in a time of youthful need. I could never play my Selmer without comparing it to the big sound of my old SML. The Selmer was actually a pretty great soprano, but it just never sounded as rich and large as the old SML did to me (at least in memory). I bought a Rampone & Cazzani heavy gold plated tenor a couple of years ago and I absolutely love the sound. When I decided I would begin to give soprano sax playing a bit more attention it was natural that I would think of Rampone & Cazzani again. The Selmer has been sold.

So what's it's like? Well... beautiful to look at. (I know I said that already.) Big, lush, complex and sweet in sound. The high notes are round, the low notes are throaty. The intonation is spot on - I know that no one will believe me about the intonation, given that it's a soprano after all. But it is. (I always had to work on my intonation with the Selmer.) The action is really pretty good. I was bracing myself for spongy key work - my Rampone & Cazzani Tenor is a little slow - but, in my opinion, the action compares well enough with the old Selmer (which was fine in that department, I think).

The saxello shape, as opposed to the regular straight soprano, really feels good to me. Playing a straight soprano properly (IMHO) requires that you lift it up quite a bit. (Need to get the mouthpiece straight(ish) into your mouth for good embouchure. Need to keep your head level for good airflow and no tension in your throat.) I always got tired, even with a strap, but I can play the saxello for hours. I recommend that soprano players seriously consider the saxello shape for ergonomic reasons.

So, all in all, I'm very happy with my new saxello. I find that, because I love the look so much, I'm playing it much more. (I leave my instruments out on stands to be played. I know, I know... lot's of you will tell me that that's terrible. But when I go by it I often can't help but pick it up and play it. Sometimes for a minute and sometimes for an hour. Funny, but the more I play it the better I sound. Hmm... in that way, instruments that look better sound better. ;-) )

Hope this post is of value to someone. Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,

Kirk

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Thanks for the well-considered overview on the R&C saxello.

I am an R&C "lurker", getting closer and closer to getting one, and I appreciate the effort in trying to describe the experience of playing one.

FWIW, I like the look!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe. It's tough with horns like the R&Cs because most of us can't find a store to try them and compare them to other horns. And of course describing tone in words is like trying to describe architecture through dance. ;-)

Thanks for the well-considered overview on the R&C saxello.

I am an R&C "lurker", getting closer and closer to getting one, and I appreciate the effort in trying to describe the experience of playing one.

FWIW, I like the look!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
I think the R&C Saxello has the more acentuaded angled neck of all modern "Saxello Typ sopranos" and it helps to play in a lower position.
On the other hand the R&C Saxellos were known for a weird keyword, not as comfortable as the Taiwanese counterparts.

Has R&C fitted it now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Conn-Hunter

I find that the key work on my saxello compares with the other two sopranos that I have owned: an SML and a Selmer. No weirdness in my opinion. My R&C tenor, although not "weird", is a little slow, partly because it was set up with the pads very open. (I tried reducing the key heights a little, but it took away some of that tone that was the reason I bought the horn, so I've settled on trading a high action for tone.)

Thanks Joe. It's tough with horns like the R&Cs because most of us can't find a store to try them and compare them to other horns. And of course describing tone in words is like trying to describe architecture through dance. ;-)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
whats the case like?? long and awkward at all??

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,165 Posts
it is not too different from an ordinary soprano case, why long ands awkward ? Perhaps you were thinking of the altello !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Gosh....How long must we wait for the baritone version?

·
39,165 Posts
or the bass..........oops, I mustn't repeat those rumours :bluewink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The R&C cases are really nice. Both my tenor and the saxello came with good cases. Certainly the saxello case is no more awkward than my Selmer soprano case. (Which wasn't as nice, IMO.)

·
39,165 Posts
the saxello case is (as far as I remember) made of material, all the other cases are made of leather

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
That copper horn is gorgeous. I'll wait for them to come out with a curved soprano... I'd love to play that one.

·
39,165 Posts
Alto

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thats a super sexy horn, congrats! I was looking at buying their curved soprano but no stores in my area have them. I'm a little cautious buying a new horn, especially something as finicky as soprano without trying first. I've heard nothing but good things about these though, glad to hear you are happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi W.

They couriered it to me from the UK to Canada. No troubles. They have been quite good to deal with.

Hi Kirkl ... how did you get it from Sax.co.uk ? Via mail, courier or ??? How did that go for you ?

Cheers
W.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts