Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies and gentleman, I recently purchased a new to me clarinet. A Yamaha 450 intemedate model with a Ton Kooiman thumb rest. Any thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Nearly everyone says good things about those Yammies. What mouthpiece you planning to use?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Nice all around clarinet. The Kooiman thumbrest is a nice addition.
If it came with the Yamaha Custom mouthpiece you should be in good shape for a very long time. The 4C that comes with most Yamaha clarinets is OK if you're a beginner or 'occaisional' player.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been playing on a Vandoren M30 and def could use some suggestions on different mouthpieces. Thank you guys!

·
19,209 Posts
As far as Vandoren mouthpieces go the M30 is pretty darned good.
Is there something about it that you don't like?
If you could give us an idea of what you are looking for that is different than what the M30 is giving you...
I've played a few different brands/models and I might be able to give you a couple of ideas on what you might want to try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
My vandoran M 15/13 has stood up to alot of other pieces I've tryed. Just for the heck of it though, I pulled out the Credenza moupthiece that came with my Leblanc Bliss a few years ago and it is a good piece. If you like easier response and a bigger tone my Fobes CF + is a good piece. Good luck. K

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think I am a weirdo for liking a stock Yamaha mpc (5CM, 21mm facing, 1.1mm tip). The Cadenza mpc is also one that I am using too. I think maybe I should try 5RV Lyre...

·
19,209 Posts
I had a 5RV Lyre. Sold it. Sold my LC3 too.
My Portnoy is the best mouthpiece I've used in 40 years on clarinet. It works equally well on my Selmer Signature and my old Buffet Evette Master Model.
Come to think of it, it's a sweet playing piece on my 1930s' vintage Selmer full boehms as well.. Both the Bb and the A!
The only mouthpieces I have left that I still use are my O'Brian crystals, a couple of C85s', a B45 Dot, and a sweet wood piece that I got from racketysax.

Try one when you try the 5RV Lyre. You may like it better too. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have used the 5RV Lyre that was included with my clarinet for a while. Tried an M30 and M30 Lyre the other day and really liked them. Opened up my sound a lot, middle of the road tip opening, and were freer blowing. Maybe just stick with that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I've been playing on my Clark Fobes San Francisco CF+ for a few days now and on first impressions, it's everything I could have asked for.

Back to the original post, I had a yamaha 450 come across the bench recently and I thought it was a fantastic clarinet. Well made, nice comfortable layout, even scale and nice sound. i'd be more than happy to play on one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
(Band Mommy, Ihave a BP01 that would make a nice back up piece for you?? YOu need this, You need this (keep repeating ad nausiam)

Back to the thread.
The Vans are the most consistant pieces off the shelf I've found although I did trial 3 M 15 13s and one was great, one okay for a student and one sent back in a hurry. By all means if you can, try before you buy. K

·
19,209 Posts
(Band Mommy, Ihave a BP01 that would make a nice back up piece for you?? YOu need this, You need this (keep repeating ad nausiam)
Mine is a BP03. A BP01 would require a new box of reeds.
Hmmm... (I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need...) :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,198 Posts
Yamaha instruments are very good. The keywork on the 34 (previous model) seemed a little softer than the 64 The 64 felt and sounded a little nicer to me. I feel it's worth going up to the 650 rather than the 450 if you can stretch the finances, but the 450 is very good too. You can't go far wrong with Yamahas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts