Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my Buescher. My second saxophone, my first C-mel, and my first vintage sax.
I'd never even heard of a C-melody saxophone until a few months ago, but after reading about their tragic decline (I'm a sucker for hard luck stories) I began considering the possibility of adopting one. I stumbled upon this 1920 TrueTone on eBay about three weeks ago and, despite knowing how risky it is buying an instrument without trying it first, decided to take a chance which appears to have paid off. This sax is in great shape mechanically, with only a single spring missing and excellent response on all the keys. The pads will need to be replaced in the near future -- they'll last until I can afford a repad --, as will the cork, but it still sounds pretty good despite this.

Needless to say, I'm in love with this horn. I can't wait until I can get it repadded! :)

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
What are you using for a mouthpiece? The one in the picture? Is that an old Buescher piece?

The horn looks very nice!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yes, it's an original Buescher c-mel mouthpiece; it came with the horn, and I was surprised to find that I actually liked the way it sounded (not like a dying duck at all). I might experiment with other mouthpieces at some point, but for now I'm happy with it as it is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
Looks like you have a nice one with low use. Clean and oil ! Where the spring is missing don’t use a rubber band. Silver hates sulfur, rubber has sulfur and will permanently scar the silver with contact. Welcome to Sotw

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Dave I looked up a serial number chart and compared numbers. The main body of the horn is definitely 1920, though I suspect the neck might be slightly newer due to the location of the octave pip.

@PigSquealer Thanks for the advice! I definitely want to protect the finish; the body is completely dent free, and after taking a gentle polishing cloth to a part of the bell I can tell this sax will be stunning when I get it cleaned up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Saxie24: OK. Mine is 1925. Some posters, unfamiliar with vintage saxophones don't get their dates correct. The serial-number comparison (if the chart you used was accurate) is usually the way to do it. DAVE

·
Registered
268 Posts
I doubt the neck is from another year. I have three of those here and they all look identical to yours.

I also love the sound of the original mouthpiece. I might add that you try a #2 black Onyx reed and enjoy a play-ability and tone that's pretty awesome.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! She is a beauty. Just wait until you get the overhaul done!! Enjoy it. :)

- Saxaholic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts