Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After alot of thought and regret of selling my 1st Borg jubilee pearl silver tenor a few years back i have jumped on a 2nd,only 1 in the UK.Its in a 2 tone metalic black lustre body,neck and silver plated keys.Looks great and was the best of 3 i tested,a gold plate model and a pink gold plate copper content model.Was expecting the black to look well just black but its a great metalic effect to it.Feels great and solid and a thick core to the sound,well happy.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Borganiboy? :mrgreen:
Yes the Borgs made me do it.I never changed from mauriatboy when i had my few Z's but i think this is the 1,oh no i said it now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,951 Posts
Welcome!

Pictures of your new horn???

·
32,951 Posts
After alot of thought and regret of selling my 1st Borg jubilee pearl silver tenor a few years back i have jumped on a 2nd,only 1 in the UK.Its in a 2 tone metalic black lustre body,neck and silver plated keys.Looks great and was the best of 3 i tested,a gold plate model and a pink gold plate copper content model. Feels great and solid and a thick core to the sound...
Could you contrast the differences that you experienced with these various finishes? What made this one The Best?

How is the factory setup these days?

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will sort some pics today for you Dr G and add some differences i found.Good to be back.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i blew 3 new borgs which were all different,yes all horns are but say compared to a yamaha you always get that yamaha bling straight off.1st i blew the gold plated jubilee model.I found it very nice.Sounded on the dark side to me.The horn had a great core to it,rich and thick but was an easy blow and i thought i hope this is not the best as i dont like gold horns.Felt great under the hands,nice and solid feel and sound.2nd i blew the pink 24k gold plated with copper in the mix model,wow it looked very pretty indeed.I did not like it much though when i blew my 1st notes,the guy said i might expect this model to be more of a blow due to the plating which i found.Needed alot more air and push for me,felt very dark.I like a free blowing sax so this was no way for me.But some guys might like it for the looks and very very dark sound.The best was last.I loved the looks of the black lustre model.It is in a gun metal 2 tone black,looks much nicer in the flesh.My 1st 3 notes and i knew this was me.More free blowing than the others but still very compact.As with borgs you get that great thick core and the palm notes are very nice.I can get Webster to brecker in a swift move.Very nice sound it is.Altissimo is superb and clear,intonation is spot on.I still find it on the darker side but you know if you click up a gear it can wail.I had a pearl silver borg about 8 years ago and its the sax i regret most selling.It was hard work to keep it playing as needed tweaks all the time to set up but when it blew right it was the 1.I think build on these horns has improved alot.They feel much more robust to me.Set up is better also.Ergos are very slick and fast.You get a strange feeling when you hold a borg,you can tell its a proper hand made horn,it looks it also.Borgs are all very different and you need to find your borg.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Yup- that's one sexy looking horn!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 28641 View attachment 28643 View attachment 28642 more pics

Came in the borg case which i have heard a few say are not that good but i find them very good indeed.Yes not a aircraft hold case like a hiscox but for normal gigging use there great.Just bought a black Bam Cabine case a few weeks back and the borg dont fit that though,silly me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Congrats Mauriatb...no, yammie...No, BorganiBoy.....!!!
Great looking horn and welcome to the club.
I have an Unlaquered Borg Tenor, a fantastic horn, set up by S.Howard, so great action, swift, light, depth of tone is outstanding. Certainly for me, outplayed the Selmer and The Mauriat I had, although they were/are both great horns I was looking for a certain something in my sax sound and for me this was the one.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats Mauriatb...no, yammie...No, BorganiBoy.....!!!
Great looking horn and welcome to the club.
I have an Unlaquered Borg Tenor, a fantastic horn, set up by S.Howard, so great action, swift, light, depth of tone is outstanding. Certainly for me, outplayed the Selmer and The Mauriat I had, although they were/are both great horns I was looking for a certain something in my sax sound and for me this was the one.
The seed grew over months of looking,knew i would break.Yes they do feel different some how and the sound great.How long you been borged,missed that 1.I thought you were still on ya 66r.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well last year I started looking for a back up horn and ended up with a SA80 I silver tenor, a great horn and that became the no1 for a while, but after a few months there were aspects of it i did'nt like, so I continued looking.
Came across this borg unlaq, and after a couple of try outs and some research I purchased it last March.
I did'nt announce anything but kept the 66R for a while, just in case. This has become my no1 horn. The 66R is now sold.

·
32,951 Posts
You get a strange feeling when you hold a borg,you can tell its a proper hand made horn,it looks it also.Borgs are all very different and you need to find your borg.
Nice. Thanks for taking the time away from your horn to chat about it. I agree especially with the comment about the feel of these horns. It reminds me, in many aspects, of the best things that I enjoyed about the Selmer Balanced Action that I played for so many years.

"Find your Borg'." - that has a nice ring to it.

Be well.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How would you compare your Borgani vs the 82z?
After owning 4 Z's and 2 Borgs i can say there amazing horns.Which is best,the 1 that suits you the most.For me these 2 fit great.The Z is atad more free blowing and can be abit wild on the palm keys due to this and the neck.I love Z's and i find silver and unlacquered Z's nicer than gold lac z's.There so easy to play,great ergos and very very flexible with loads of juice.The borgs,well the 2 i have owned and liked the best from the borgs i tested are,were free blowing but not as much as a z,sound is darker for me and more compact.the palm keys are fuller sounding and intonation on these is better.The core to a borg is fantastic,very thick.Just like the z the borg can just keep going up the gears with you,no limit,they can wail and both are HUGE in them tenor tones.Borgs ergos are great also.I was very happy with the silver z,could not fault it,i just had to get another borg for that feeling off holding,owning a true handcrafted horn that looks completely different from anything else.I love its wacky bell key guards,the metal biss key,the neck brace,the huge long bell,a borgani stands out.So Z VS Borgani,both are amazing sounding,playing horns but theres thousands of z's on the shelf and when you test a bunch of rare borgs and find 1 its a nice feeling and they sound and look superb.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh that's funny, here I thought the Borg avatars were just from trekkies; lmao, borgs... Now i get it, thats funny!
Thanks for the detailed comparison.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh that's funny, here I thought the Borg avatars were just from trekkies; lmao, borgs... Now i get it, thats funny!
Thanks for the detailed comparison.
Oh yes but do you think the black latex suit and borg eye patch suit me,i must go on the sun beds,i look abit pale in my avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr G looks rather sexy on his avatar,i am getting worried now.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts