Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Always be a Beginner in the Sax Playing Art
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Just want to share my joice with you...

I bought a new soprano: a Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988.

I am not an expert, so it's difficult for me to describe the sax or its sound, but I can say you that it is wonderful! You can see pics here: Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988

In my own words, the playing is soft and fast; it's freeblowing as there is just a little bit of resistance in the lower and upper notes and the sound is warm and, I think, dark (as I understand that word).

I'm really happy now, and don't need to buy another sax anymore. I will focus the GAS to the accessories... :mrgreen:

·
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re : Re: My new beast: Soprano Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988

Thanks griff136! That's what I thought...

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Hi guys!

I bought a new soprano: a Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988.

I am not an expert, so it's difficult for me to describe the sax or its sound, but I can say you that it is wonderful! You can see pics here: Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988

In my own words, the playing is soft and fast; it's freeblowing as there is just a little bit of resistance in the lower and upper notes and the sound is warm and, I think, dark (as I understand that word).

I'm really happy now, and don't need to buy another sax anymore. I will focus the GAS to the accessories... :mrgreen:
yes i played my friend's Elimona 880 sop at a quartet practice and it was astoundingly good, and really easy to blow from low to high. I had my Keil EX90 II there and in a head to head comparison, the Keil was significantly harder to play, especially in the left hand palm keys. The opinions were divided. The owner (who plays alto in our quartet) said the Yana sounded better in every way. The bari n tenor players said they preferred the EX90 tone, which they said sounded thicker.

Then a few weeks later my bari player bought a Bauhaus Walstein, and it played effortlessly like the Yana even to A3, with superb intonation, and was a rounder sounding horn too. And it only cost $700 brand new. Build quality was not as good as the Yana or the Keil.

But there's no question that the 880 Yana is a great horn which should last you a long time. My alto player has his for 14 years now, an it is still is super condition. Congrats on a fine buy.

·
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re : Re: My new beast: Soprano Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988

[...]

[...]
First of all, I think I should have written "joy" (or something else) instead of "joice". Sorry for that... I'm just a French Canadian Frog (as English Canadians sometimes call us)!

Dead right, WHY do manufacturers keep altering things!
They think they still can improve them... :mrgreen:

yes i played my friend's Elimona 880 sop at a quartet practice and it was astoundingly good, and really easy to blow from low to high. I had my Keil EX90 II there and in a head to head comparison, the Keil was significantly harder to play, especially in the left hand palm keys. The opinions were divided. The owner (who plays alto in our quartet) said the Yana sounded better in every way. The bari n tenor players said they preferred the EX90 tone, which they said sounded thicker.

Then a few weeks later my bari player bought a Bauhaus Walstein, and it played effortlessly like the Yana even to A3, with superb intonation, and was a rounder sounding horn too. And it only cost $700 brand new. Build quality was not as good as the Yana or the Keil.

But there's no question that the 880 Yana is a great horn which should last you a long time. My alto player has his for 14 years now, an it is still is super condition. Congrats on a fine buy.
My tech told me that it was not played often since it still bears the original pads (which look as new)! I am very happy with my little treasure found on ebay... (I bought 3 out of the 4 saxophones I owned on ebay without any bad surprises 'till now. Thanks God!) [rolleyes]

Thank you all for your comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts