Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Barone Vintage Tenor

After some serious thinking and a trust in Phil that I gained after getting a Hollywood from him about a year and a half ago I pulled the trigger on a Vintage tenor. I have been in my sax cave for the last week and a half getting to know my new horn.

For those of you that don't know me I will give you a little back ground on my experience as a player. I have been playing sax for about 23 years. I consider myself to be an above average player that has had the good fortune of making a living playing for most of my adult life. I'm nothing special but I have my moments. I have toured full time in the pop realm but now I teach privately and do studio work when I can get it. Every now and then I will do shows or a small tour as a sub. I jam with some local guys at the moment just for fun. I have been playing a Cannonball Big Bell Global Series tenor which was their top of the line offering when I bought it new for 2400 dollars at Union Street Music in San Francisco when it was actually on Union Street. I play a Barone Hollywood 7* on tenor for everything. So lets get into it shall we!

Service. What can I say, it was top notch. Not only did Phil talk to me at great length on several occasions about his horns, he also shipped it out to me quickly in the middle of the mountains of snow he was/is buried in. He was quick to say if I didn't like it send it back for a full refund. Well I love it.

Ergonomics. The ergos are very similar to my Cannonball but the left hand feels a tiny bit more twisted to the right than the Cannonball. I would say it took me about an hour with a metronome before I felt completely comfy. This is a slick feeling horn. It is also lighter than my Cannonball which is a Nickel plate.

Build. This thing is solid. I took it to the guys at Horn Improvement in
Orange County and they really liked everything about it.

Tone. This horn has a great big sound all up and down the entire range. It has a spread sound but it doesn't lack focus at all. In fact it has a really nice core to it. By comparison the Cannonball is just all highs and mids with no focus. The Barone is much more balanced, darker with a clearer crisper sound to it. I love the big sound especially for the big gigs because it really helps you hear yourself. Mixed with the Hollywood it is just insane. I can get a real dark smoky sound for a jazz gig and go right to a rock gig and make the horn a bright cutting screamer. The Hollywood just does it all if you put in the time and learn how to blow it. I can subtone even into the altissimo. The horn plays at all volume levels very well. The intonation and harmonics are very nice too. I have no trouble bending notes on it or being expressive.

Price. You can't beat it. I can't believe how much horn you get for so little coin.

Others. I have let every sax player that I have been around for the last couple weeks blow on it and they all loved it. I have played a lot of horns from new Selmers , VIs, JKs, Cannonballs, Yamahas and others. This horn plays and sounds just as good or better as any I have played. I would love to try a Classic just for fun but I know I would have to have it. My wife just doesn't understand that I need more horns and surfboards. She is actually a good sport and if it wasn't for her I would own all of Phils mpcs and horns and be broke.

When I get a little more time I will post some sound or video clips and some pictures.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Come on man!! When I clicked on the thread I just knew there was a clip of you playing. I feel cheated. Congrats on the sax. Mayho

·
Registered
77 Posts
stormott77 -

Congrats on you!

I too am a CB player with a jones for a Barone audio clip. Looking to get a Barone alto soon. I'm stayin' tuned.

GPD

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
More horns, more surfboards, video clips ...yeah!

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to decide how I want to record myself. I tried using my Boss Micro BR with a SM57 but it sounds really compressed. If I use the BRs built in stereo mic the horn sounds kind of farty to me. The mic built into the BR reminds me a lot of the Sony Stereo mics that they sold for the Mini Disc players. I think the horn sounds better on the mic built into my Sony video camera. I have a clip on Sure beta clip on and that sounds really compressed too.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on man!! When I clicked on the thread I just knew there was a clip of you playing. I feel cheated. Congrats on the sax. Mayho
How far are you from Laguna Hills. If you want to swing by and check it out send me a pm.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Awesome review, stormott77!!!

Congrats on your new horn & welcome to the Barone Vintage Tenor Club!!! :) They are truly spectacular tenors.

BTW, what finish did you get?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That's great Shane! I'm glad you pulled the trigger on one of these!

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
I hear you when you refer to the Hollywood and how you use it. My Hollywood on my new Classic PB Tenor gives me an incredible sound. Incredible. Its has so much meat to it, like you say, even when I subtone. Its the biggest sound I have had full stop. Many many people have commented and confirmed the same. And reallly I dont play tenopr that much, yet tenor players are blown away by it. Look its different to the Vinatge Big, but they arent really that far apart (i have played both). The Classic is just more focussed, which is right down my ally. Whatever Phil has done with these horns, is unique. I dont believe there is anything comparable.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the Dark Vintage Gold Laquer. It looks great. The engraving is very well done too. Thanks for all the replies guys. I might have time to go and A,B it with a bunch of Selmer referance horns and VIs next week. If I do I will bring my video camera and see if I can get some decent clips. I wish I had a good condenser mic so people could get a better idea of the sound but I just don't have the bread to get one right now. I wonder if there are any stereo mics that are made for the digital recorders that don't sound so farty and compressed. IMO they make horns sound really dark. They lose a lot of the frequencies in the harmonics that make a great sax tone. I would also like to make an offer to any sax players in Southern California that are curious about these horns to come and try mine. With all the help Phil has given me I feel like it is the least I can do. So Mayho, come on down!

I know everyone is Rapid for sound clips of these horns. There is a thread comparing 2 mac saxs to a VI and Borgani with Alex Budman playing. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?153345-Blindfold-Test-Tenor&p=1591543#post1591543 I used to see alex play all over the San Francisco Bay Area when I lived there. He just rips in many different settings. When I was going to see him play I was still trying to figure out what end to blow on and he was one of the elite players in the area. For those of you who don't know Mac Sax and Barone are very similar horns, if not the same. I don't know for sure but that is my understanding. I will always do business with Phil because he has been really good to me from the first time I spoke with him on the phone. The other great thing about Phil is his exposure to some of the greatest sax players on the planet. If anyone is looking to get a great, flexible and personal sound he is a great guy to talk mouthpieces with. I really don't know anything about the Mac Sax guys.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Awesome review, stormott77!!!

Congrats on your new horn & welcome to the Barone Vintage Tenor Club!!! :) They are truly spectacular tenors.

BTW, what finish did you get?
Hey man,... no love or room at da table for us Barone Vintage Alto guys? LOL!

Congrats stormott on the new horn! And yeah, what finish is she dressed in?

Jr.

·
Banned
492 Posts
The only two finishes I see on the site with 'Vintage' in the name are the Vintage Bare Brass and the Vintage Gold Lacquer. Maybe what Stormott meant was that the Vintage Gold Lacquer is darker than the Honey Gold Lacquer. Just looked at the Vintage Gold Lacquer and I like it. I like it a lot!

Jr.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only two finishes I see on the site with 'Vintage' in the name are the Vintage Bare Brass and the Vintage Gold Lacquer. Maybe what Stormott meant was that the Vintage Gold Lacquer is darker than the Honey Gold Lacquer. Just looked at the Vintage Gold Lacquer and I like it. I like it a lot!

Jr.
Yes, this is what I ment. It is darker than the Honey Gold and the Engraving is lighter which makes it just pop. Its nice!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You'll have fun testing it against the Selmers. In my experience, the Barone Vintage is like a great Selmer "let off the leash".

I've never played it against a Conn, unfortunately.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Yes, this is what I ment. It is darker than the Honey Gold and the Engraving is lighter which makes it just pop. Its nice!
Gotchya. Yep its an incredible finish. It also changes depending in what light it is in. It can appear darker or lighter. Its incredible.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If any Southern California peeps want to check the sound of this horn out I just got hired to do two gigs this weekend with Reggae singer and grammy nominee Pato Banton. Here is a link http://www.patobanton.com/. Tonights show is in Fallbrook and tomorrow is in Santa Barbara.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm trying to decide how I want to record myself. ... I think the horn sounds better on the mic built into my Sony video camera...
I, too, have been impressed with the audio from my Sony video camera. It records my sax quartet with more balance, clarity and warmth than I can get out of my Zoom H2. Now if I can just figure out how to get the audio without the video...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts