Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I had ordered a new yanasigawa S991 soprano sax and it has just arrived. I took some pictures of it before I open the box and after. The following pictures say it all. I also include pictures with some of my existing gear and accessories (at the end)...

1. The Box has just arrived through UPS

3. Please notice the tape with the seal of Yanagisawa at the button of the cartoon box. No extra padding from the shop but the original package was more than enough for safe transportation.

4. Time to cut the "handle with care" tape and open the Pandora’s box !!!!

5. One side of the box. Another Yanisagawa Seal....

6. Oooops.....Well the original factory seal (beneath the shop's "handle with care" tape) is broken. This does not assure me that the saxophone has not been used before, probably in trials or display demo. I want to believe that the box has been opened only for quality check, set-up and adjustment purposes......

7. Here are the shop's photo and an envelope with the receipt.

9. I also ordered some accessories. This is a pad saver for my Yamaha 62II Tenor Sax

11 All the accessories in the order.

12 The Sax Case. (Notice the Sax.co.uk logo)

13 There is a Sax.co.uk thick plastic logo adhered on frontal side of the box. It is very badly adheared and looks ugly on a Yanisagawa branded box. I expected the Yanisagawa logo instead.

15 When I first opened the case I noticed that everything was located in plastic bags. The picture says it all !

16 The Sax with all the factory included accessories. I inspected the sax throughout, and it didn’t have any physical defects. It was lubricated, set and adjusted, indeed….

17 The Yanagisawa mouthpiece. Oooops…. I forgot to order a reed so I was not able to play the sax (at that time)

19 The necks (both straight and curved)

20 Notice the “TOKYO” print on the mouthpiece

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

24 Notice the Pads

Here is my bigger beast. My Yamaha YTS 62II Tenor !!!!

These are some of my old and new accessories. Notice my Tenor L padded neck strap, the chromatic tuner, the BG body swaps, The Rizla *** papers...
.....ohhhh and my Dolce & Gabbana parfum !!!

30 This is my Yamaha Mixer that I use for recordings and live performances.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Congratulations on your new Yani 991 Soprano. In my view, the finest soprano on the planet (and I've owned them all). It doesn't get any better. Enjoy!

·
Registered
133 Posts
He must be an engineer :scratch: or a programmer :confused:

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
What was on the other end of the box? Was it sealed properly? Any markings?

The horn itself looks great. It looks just like my Antigua (a computer copy) -- but I think mine came with a free reed.

Enjoy it, man!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
yani cases don't usually have any logo on them (mine don't).

I'd demand a replacement case without the crappy glued on logo.

So played either of them yet ?

Enjoy!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations on your new Yani 991 Soprano. In my view, the finest soprano on the planet (and I've owned them all). It doesn't get any better. Enjoy!
Thank you brother !!!

I'd demand a replacement case without the crappy glued on logo.
So played either of them yet ?
Enjoy!
I don't think it worth the hassle.

This is the first time after years I am holding a soprano. Regarding the Tenor, yes I have been playing it for the last 5 years. Before that I was playing a :baby: clarinet !!!!

What was on the other end of the box? Was it sealed properly? Any markings?
The box looks brand new to be fair. Regarding the reed I am waiting for a local shop to open, otherwise no matter how badly I want to hear its sound, it won't make any.........without a reed........

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanasis - Thanks for posting the excellent photos.

Would you please post close-up photos of the low C, B and Bb keys showing the heights between the pads and the tone holes?

I'd like to compare my Yani soprano's pad heights to your newly setup sax. I've searched on Google, but I can't find clear photos.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanasis - Thanks for posting the excellent photos.

Would you please post close-up photos of the low C, B and Bb keys showing the heights between the pads and the tone holes?

I'd like to compare my Yani soprano's pad heights to your newly setup sax. I've searched on Google, but I can't find clear photos.

Thanks for your help.

Richard
Here we go matey.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys. I just need to ask you something.

I am facing the problem every time I attempt to insert the Mouthpiece to the Cork. I have to stop before half way through because I face resistance and I am afraid to continue. I post some photos.
Any suggestions?

Cork without the Mouthpiece

Cork with the Mouthpiece. I can not push it further in fear not to break the neck.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Thanasis.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
Unless I was expecting to take the new horn for a a set up anyway, for me, that would possibly be a bad sign. It means the horn has not been set up and play tested.

However all you need do is use some sandpaper on the cork. Try to remove as much corkgrease first. mask the neck so the sand paper doesn't slip and gouge the lacquere, Sand it all the way round. When the mouthpiece fits on further , but still with a fair bit of resistance, then use cork grease.

However if the horn has not been set up and playtested (as implied by this), it would be worth taking it to a technician anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Pete. Thanks for your input. I will leave the mouthpiece some time on the cork. This may ease the issue without sandpaper. (it happened with my Tenor. It becomes easier to fit the mouthpiece over time)

Otherwise I will do the sandpaper my self at some point. Unfortunately I have no technician in my area that I can trust.

Regarding the setup, I think they did something because the sax is playing perfectly (even with mouthpiece just halfway through the cork) . I checked the pads and they sit evenly on the tone holes.

Under these circumstances, I think it is not necessary to jeopardize my sax in the hands of a random technician.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts