Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched from a P. Mauriat tenor (PMXT-66RUL) to a 156 #342xxx (1952?). This is a real players horn, not a "like new" looker. Due to it's looks I got a great deal.

I liked the P. Mauriat's sound but didn't like it's somewhat stiff key movement or that it was so heavy (weight). My 'crat is AMAZING! The sound is everything I expected based on forum comments. My wife had to leave the room at first because it was so loud. After I go used to it and played more appropriately for the room, she said she LOVED it.

Anyway, I'm a happy guy...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,138 Posts
These are great horns. And yes, when you push it, one of the loudest horns out there. But they have a very nice tone quality, esp in the low register. When I got one (a beautiful silver-plated 156), my VI sat in the closet for a couple of years. I eventually went back to the VI, but still pull out the 156 when I get in the mood to play it. I could stick with either horn, if I had to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great man! I have a Balanced Action and a 156 Crat (1951). I like to play the BA but I love to play the Crat... and tomorrow I'll be near Turin to taste an alto Big B (1945)... I'm not sure, but I think I'll get it...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
As we say over at the TDPRI, pics or it didnt happen. . . .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics. Just had the lower pads replaced and it sounds great. The neck doesn't seem to be original. Can anyone id it for me?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Neck looks like a 156 neck to me. It's been pulled, but it's correct for the horn. What makes you think it's not the original neck?

EDIT: ok, now I see why you said that. The nickel-plated octave key and slightly different ring above the tenon. It's from a later Buescher horn. Could be a late 156 or even a 157, but it's still going to be dimensionally correct. I think Buescher started adding a wire brace starting in 1960 with the S-25 that would be immediately obvious, so it's not later than that.

Bottom one in the picture is from my '49 156 that I know to be original. Never mind the dimension markings shown. They're actually 7" and 7-3/8" (an inch off).

View attachment 77716

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When my tech re-corked the neck he told me that the ring sits a bit too high and the octave key was not making good contact. He added some height, isung some liquid plastic, to the pin so it hit right. Doesn't seem to affect the play but obviously not original. He also was telling me that he gets lots of horns either without necks or not original. Anyway this one fits and seems to do the job...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Take a look at this picture. The tenon ring on this 157 matches yours, though it has the wire neck brace from the EBIC horns. This is why I think yours if from a late 156, very early 157.

http://saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=2764

Not original to the horn, but it's certainly a Buescher neck and close enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great purchase, I have one from 1951 with the same engraving and it's a wonderful player. You will not be sorry, I think the more you play it the more you'll love it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts