Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really put it through the paces yet but from the initial test it works really well and has a great sound with a really nice flat response. Not to mention WWb&W shipped it in 4 days.

I called them right after it was ordered when they told me in an email it was back ordered. I called and talked to a representative who I merely told anything you could do to expedite would be greatly appreciated. He then said it may take a month and offered to let me cancel my order. I told him that I appreciated his offer but that I would wait for WWb&W because they have always taken care of me in the past and have fair prices.


I know some others don't feel so rosy about WWb&W but they have always given me great service.

When I put the Roam 1 Elite through more paces I will post a better review.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
You won't be sorry you bought this. I got one through eBay about six months ago (saved $200 over a new one), and it's terrific: best wireless I've used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reedsplinter said:
You won't be sorry you bought this. I got one through eBay about six months ago (saved $200 over a new one), and it's terrific: best wireless I've used.
Now you're just getting me all excited!!!!!!!! I thought about buying a used one I could have gotten for 350 bucks. Guy said it was only used 10 times but I just decided to go new. Did you get yours new for that price? If so my hatred for you is only tempered by my joy of a great mic. LOL!!
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
playitfunky said:
Now you're just getting me all excited!!!!!!!! I thought about buying a used one I could have gotten for 350 bucks. Guy said it was only used 10 times but I just decided to go new. Did you get yours new for that price? If so my hatred for you is only tempered by my joy of a great mic. LOL!!
Yep, $360 I think. The guy said he'd only used it once! I don't know about that, but don't really care; it works great. Another good thing about this: he put it in a new case, one he bought and cut the foam to fit inside. Evidently people don't like the cases that come with these; the reviews say the case is flimsy. The one that came with mine is light but sturdy and does the job perfectly. I recommend getting a better case for yours if in fact the one it comes with sucks.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
The mounting clamp is highly adjustable. I've found that it works best with the mic about 7 or 8 inches from the bell and tipped back just a tad so it picks up sound from the tube as well as the bell. You'll want to experiment, probably. It's actually sufficiently flexible that I'm able to use it on my sop if I need to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw the one you bought on Ebay also and actually thought about bidding on that one. I'm glad I didn't as then you might have still won, but just had to pay more. So then you clip it on the back of the bell right? not the front. That's prob a stupid question as it seems obvious that would be best, but I have never used a clip on like this before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as the case goes I might have something better lying around somewhere. The case doesn't looks about as tough as a shoe box with foam in it.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
playitfunky said:
I saw the one you bought on Ebay also and actually thought about bidding on that one. I'm glad I didn't as then you might have still won, but just had to pay more. So then you clip it on the back of the bell right? not the front. That's prob a stupid question as it seems obvious that would be best, but I have never used a clip on like this before.
I actually clip it on the side, which keeps it out of the way onstage. You can turn the mic mounting any old way. It's so flexible you could likely clip it on your nose and make it work OK.:shock: :D That gadget is wonderfully well designed.

Also, if you have it on the side, you can set your axe on its stand without having to take off the mic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
2 questions about it

1. What is like in terms of picking up mechaical key noise?

2. How is your sax sound thru it? Does it take away any of the fullness of your sound?

I use an Audio Technica clip on and it is bad regarding both of the above.

Thanks ahead of time for answering
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,247 Posts
As an aside:

1. All mics will pick up mechanical sounds. They cannot differentiate what is and isn't music. Generally, unless you have a really clunky horn, this gets covered (masked) by your playing.

2. In my experience, mic position is much more important to how 'full' your sax sounds than the 'quality' of the mic itself.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
dmcneill said:
2 questions about it

1. What is like in terms of picking up mechaical key noise?

2. How is your sax sound thru it? Does it take away any of the fullness of your sound?

I use an Audio Technica clip on and it is bad regarding both of the above.

Thanks ahead of time for answering
I get no noticeable mechanical noise. The mic holder is VERY well designed. And I get the best sound with this rig I've ever gotten with a clip-on. I tend to prefer stand mics actually, but sometimes convenience trumps what difference there may be in the amplified quality. Depends on the gig.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
I also agree with Hak that mic placement is very important. The design of the mic holder with this rig gives more latitude and flexibility in moving the mic around until you find just the right place that I've seen in any other clip-on. The design is ingenious.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
Joined
·
4,842 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
The mounting clamp is highly adjustable. I've found that it works best with the mic about 7 or 8 inches from the bell and tipped back just a tad so it picks up sound from the tube as well as the bell. You'll want to experiment, probably. It's actually sufficiently flexible that I'm able to use it on my sop if I need to.
I bought one of these, but returned it. The only thing that I didn't like is that I couldn't figure out a quick way to swap it from alto to tenor when I'm doubling.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Nefertiti said:
Morry,
I'm not sure what you had a problem with. I've had one of these for years. You just squeeze the clip take it off and put it on the other sax. I don't see how it could be easier.
Exactly. The adjustment on the clip is very precise; you tighten it down with the set screw enough to hold it firmly on but not enough to disable the clip. Then a little pressure on the clip removes it. It takes me 3 seconds max to move it from one horn to another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Morry, it's "clip-on", and it's really what best about it: quick swapping between saxes... Like others said, it takes about 2-3 seconds to switch between horns. I've used the Roam 1 couple years ago, and then just recently the Elite model... Both are really good.

Kenny.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
26,740 Posts
I gig with one on alto and tenor as well (plus bari) and it's no problem making a switch; unless maybe you're trading twos with yourself...

Weaver of Sound, I believe the type of suspension for the AMT microphone reduces key noise; at least as far as picking up the vibrations rather than just the noise itself. It certainly reduces it much more so than a prior (and cheaper) brand of clip-on I used.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Grumps said:
I gig with one on alto and tenor as well (plus bari) and it's no problem making a switch; unless maybe you're trading twos with yourself...

Weaver of Sound, I believe the type of suspension for the AMT microphone reduces key noise; at least as far as picking up the vibrations rather than just the noise itself. It certainly reduces it much more so than a prior (and cheaper) brand of clip-on I used.
Precisely. The mic suspension is VERY clever.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,247 Posts
Grumps said:
I gig with one on alto and tenor as well (plus bari) and it's no problem making a switch; unless maybe you're trading twos with yourself...

Weaver of Sound, I believe the type of suspension for the AMT microphone reduces key noise; at least as far as picking up the vibrations rather than just the noise itself. It certainly reduces it much more so than a prior (and cheaper) brand of clip-on I used.
I thought you were talking about the particular clacking that the side keys of a mark VI make, or the sound of pads popping closed. You can't get rid of those, really.

As far as mechanical isolation, the suspension on the Roam1 is very good (kinda ugly though--not that that's a bad thing, just aesthetics). I think there are other suspensions that are just as effective (like on the AT clipons, where the foam windscreen is lightly held by rings, so that the mic element 'floats' within the foam), and not so overly-engineered.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top