Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after years of loving the Z-UL from afar, but wishing for an 875-UL, I finally got one. Let me tell you, this thing is incredible.

I have loved the response of the UL horns for a long time, but the Z was just too buzzy for my classical playing. I sounded nice on them, but too bright for my own taste, and its key layout, though very comfortable, was not a good match for my hands. The added weight of the 875 Custom brings to reality my quest for ultimate response, and a nice thick, dark sound. I couldn't be happier. I'm not hanging up my EXGP just yet, but it very well could happen.

Steve P

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nate, not for sale yet buddy :)

Young- No need to imress the ladies with the looks of my sax, as you well know, the sound gets them every time. :)

Steve P

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
USA Horn has a new old stock YAS 875 in silverplate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Young- No need to imress the ladies with the looks of my sax, as you well know, the sound gets them every time. :)

Steve P[/QUOTE]

How many ladies do you actually have listening to you? I don't remember seeing much of a groupie section outside of LURH. :) By the way, are you sad that you didn't record with your new delaquered toy?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hurling,
No this was not a special order. Yamaha does not make an 875-UL, even after I pleaded with them!!! I actually bought an 875, and had it stripped chemically, so as not to harm the metal. It looks like a million bucks, and sounds killer to boot. I got the idea after playing Claude Delangle's UL Series III a few years ago. It felt alive in my hands.

I am very happy with this horn. I wish they would actually make an EX in UL, but for now, this will do quite nicely :)

Steve P

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey, so did you play the horn before and after the unlacquer? Im getting a 62 and have plans to unlacquer as soon as it arrives! Now you've pretty much solidified my plans!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did. The change was incredible.

Make sure you have a reputable tech do the delacquer. Yamaha lacquer is much more durable than a selmers, and will requre more finesse to get off withough damaging the body.

Steve P

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Steve P said:
I did. The change was incredible.

Make sure you have a reputable tech do the delacquer. Yamaha lacquer is much more durable than a selmers, and will requre more finesse to get off withough damaging the body.

Steve P
When they did the delacquer, did they leave everything else completely as original, or did they perhaps replace a cork or two. I would hope that when a 'reputable tech' takes a horn apart and puts it back together (assume the had to repad if they stripped the lacquer from the keys) that 'the change IS incredible'

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had my tech from Minnesota do the work. He does work for the majority of local pros in the area, as well as the sax studio at UMN and Dr.Rousseau. His work is incredibly detailed. I have never seen such amazing dent work in my life (he fixed my old alto a few years ago after a run in with the floor. Looked like new. No one would believe I had dropped it). The delac was perfect; no buffing done, not a bit of lacquer left, and it plays like a dream.

Steve P

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Steve P said:
Hurling,
No this was not a special order. Yamaha does not make an 875-UL, even after I pleaded with them!!! I actually bought an 875, and had it stripped chemically, so as not to harm the metal. It looks like a million bucks, and sounds killer to boot. I got the idea after playing Claude Delangle's UL Series III a few years ago. It felt alive in my hands.

I am very happy with this horn. I wish they would actually make an EX in UL, but for now, this will do quite nicely :)

Steve P
Technically its not an 875UL.

·
878 Posts
Steve, I'd love to hear a recording of you playing this horn. I'm totally in love with my 82ZUL and want to hear other people on a Yamaha unlacquered horn. And yes, I've heard that Japanese girl. :)

·
14,269 Posts
Steve P: I had the same question as shmuelyosef. Plus, was the lacquer removed from the keywork and padcups as well? Were the pads removed during this process? Were the corks and felts replaced?

As you (and other readers know), I don't believe that the presence or absence of lacquer on a saxophone makes any difference. I suspect that the simple act of removing everything and then re-assembling the horn is what made the difference, especially if even one pad was changed. To put the pads back on the same toneholes during re-assembly, I'm thinking that some adjustments in pad seating and pad heigths had to be done. We all know that a simple tweak in one pad can make a huge difference in how a horn responds and sounds.

I'm trying not to be rude here as was alleged by another poster in a similar thread yesterday, and I am not questioning your conclusion that the horn plays great. All I am questioning is that the removal of the lacquer is the reason. DAVE

·
878 Posts
Dave, normally I'd agree with your view on lacquer. I can say in the recent months leading up to the purchase of my 82ZUL, I did a lot of play testing and some listening to people playing unlacquered horns. I came to the conlusion from my own sound and what I heard from others that the unlacquered horns definitely produce a more resonate sound than lacquered horns. I don't claim to understand the acoustics of the instrument, but it's my belief that the absence of lacquer give the horn more of a chance to vibrate and resonate. That being said, I'm not so sure I believe it matters if the lacquer is gold, black, silver or whaveter. I do however now believe that no lacquer definitely makes a difference. Either that or my perception of having no lacquer is producing a different sound. Whichever it is, I have no regrets buying an 82ZUL. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
patseguin said:
it's my belief that the absence of lacquer give the horn more of a chance to vibrate and resonate.
I don't think the energy created by a human sending a column of air over a vibrating reed is sufficient to cause the amount of mass in a saxophone to vibrate much, if at all. The only thing producing sound on a saxophone is the air and reed.

The sax is not a percussion instrument. If you were striking a sax with a mallet, then the covering (lacquer, plating, etc.) would matter. The air column only interacts with the inside of the horn (and pads/resonators to some extent), and the inside was already unlacquered.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts