Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I took my Antigua tenor up to Chadd at World Wide Sax to have him fix some problems. Just for fun I took along an Indiana alto that needed work also.
Chadd did excellent work on both horns. When I got home I started out playing the tenor before picking up the old Indiana. I immediately lost interest in the Antigua.
After searching around I found a pretty nice looking Indiana tenor on the bay. It's mine now.
It was shipped without a neck plug so it arrived with the octave key horked up. No problem, I took it up to the master to have it fixed.
Chadd noticed right away it has been relacquered and the keys have been silver plated. He fixed the issues with the horn while we went to The Sizzler for lunch.
For slightly more than lunch for 3 people Chadd had the horn in really nice playing condition and looking good.
Despite the re-lacquer job the engraving and the serial number (47xxx) stand out nicely. Hopefully the posted pictures will do it justice. I REALLY like this horn!

Registered
very nice! it looks like some did a great relacquer job on it. have fun with it!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Are the keys silver plated or are they nickel?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The keys are silver plated. They was a lot of tarnish that Chadd picked up on right away and wiped some of it off to show the silver underneath. When I got it home I took some Cape Cod cleaning pads to it. That stuff really works.

Distinguished SOTW Technician
The keys would be nickle plated on that instruent, and apppear to be nickle in the pics. Silver would be brown or black looking if tarnished, that
hazy look is nickle.

Administrator
I've never met a Martin that I didn't like. They didn't slack when it came to making any of their horns, from the most expensive to the least.

Registered
Very pretty and I am sure it sounds great!
Funny how different it looks in some details from a "The Martin" of the same period. Would it be possible to have some more pictures of it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I found a couple pictures of the octave key before it was fixed. This is what happens when you ship a horn across the country without a neck plug. You can see in this picture where the plating is still all black.

The "after" picture is after it was repaired by WWS and I cleaned it up with some Cape Cod wipes.

The finishing touch was getting a Brilhart Ebolin mouthpiece from WWS.

Registered
I found a couple pictures of the octave key before it was fixed. This is what happens when you ship a horn across the country without a neck plug. You can see in this picture where the plating is still all black.

The "after" picture is after it was repaired by WWS and I cleaned it up with some Cape Cod wipes.

The finishing touch was getting a Brilhart Ebolin mouthpiece from WWS.
Brilhart Ebolins are a great combination with Martins!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Brilhart Ebolins are a great combination with Martins!
Yes, I can now get somewhat close to the sound I was hearing when I was looking at Indiana tenors on YouTube with an eye towards buying one.
Before I got the Ebolin I was using my Meyer 6m as my "nice" piece, and it was sounding a little too much like my Antigua with the Meyer.
This inspired me to get something nice for my Indiana alto. I ended up with a Martin 'Dick Stabile' piece from WWS. Also very nice.
The right mouthpiece makes all the difference!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts