Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I play I notice that it kinda smells. Nothing horrible but I don't want this to get worse. I clean out my mouthpiece and saxophone after I play. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? What can I do to keep it from smelling? PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I see it happens when you are playing. Are you sure it's not your reed? I noticed my reed can do that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not ment to be funny: brush your teeth before playing and don't eat and drink (except for water) when playing. Clean the mouthpiece with water and a little children's toothbrush on the inside after playing. You may want to soak the reed in peroxide every now and than. This does the job for me.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might be my reeds. Will peroxide warp the reed at all?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Peroxide won't make your reed warp.
You may want to concider washing the inside of the neck. They get crapped up too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Everytime I finish playing, I rinse my mouthpiece and reed under tap water. I dry them with a paper towel, and put the reed back in the reed guard so it won't warp as it dries. I've never had a problem with a gunky/smelly mouthpiece.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do rinse out my neck one a week. And no my mouthpiece is never exposed to the sun. I'll try to rince tge reeds off when I'm done playing, and I'll try soaking them in peroxide. Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know how it all goes.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You might try swabbing out the neck as opposed to just rinsing it. You might have something growing in there...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
Yea, once a week for washing out the neck is excessive. Your going to end up wearing your cork and octave pad if it keeps getting damp on occasions where you may not be careful enough. Additionally, swabbing does a better job since it uses friction and takes out particles that may adhere to the walls better. You can run water over dried gunk all day and not remove it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
It could just be the smell of the rubber. Does it smell like sulphur or old tires? That is normal and I find it happens with some older mouthpieces.

·
Registered
397 Posts
His signature suggests he uses a plastic Yamaha 4C, so it isn't the smell of rubber.

I also suspect the reed. What I always do is take the reed off the mpc after use and rinse both the mpc and reed. It clears any smell and prevent calcium residue from forming inside the mpc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured out it's the reed. I don't think I am drying it properly. Thanks for all the posts!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
When I play I notice that it kinda smells. Nothing horrible but I don't want this to get worse. I clean out my mouthpiece and saxophone after I play. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? What can I do to keep it from smelling? PLEASE HELP!
Are you sure it's not your neck? If you wipe out your mouthpiece and wipe your reed after you play it won't smell. When did you clean your neck last? Put a piece of tape on your octave key pad and wash your neck.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Yea, once a week for washing out the neck is excessive. Your going to end up wearing your cork and octave pad if it keeps getting damp on occasions where you may not be careful enough. Additionally, swabbing does a better job since it uses friction and takes out particles that may adhere to the walls better. You can run water over dried gunk all day and not remove it.
I stick a shove-it in my neck daily. And wash the shove-it periodically. I've never had to clean a neck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts