Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother died this morning at 6:14AM. She was 86. I have zero family left other than a sister who l am relatively estranged from. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with, so I will be a complete zombie for a long time to come.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
687 Posts
Mike,

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

My deepest and most sincere condolences,
Kenneth

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Much compassion to you in this time of deep sorrow, Mike.

Please contact me if you need someone to listen.

Regards,

George

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
My heart hurts for you.
Your SOTW family is here if you need us.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
752 Posts
I am really sorry, man. Condolences and best wishes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Sorry for your loss. 😢

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Mike,
I am so sorry to hear about this. I’m sure you know, some of us here feel like you are family, so feel free to lean on us. You are not alone. We are here for you. You can call me any time of the day.
Stay strong, my friend.

Much love, Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
1,994 Posts
So sorry for your loss! Hopefully you and your sister will find a way to reconcile in honor of your mother.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Mike,

My deepest condolences on your loss. I hope you find strength in this difficult time through celebrating her life and accomplishments. I have found it to be very therapeutic in times like this. We are all here for you so don't hesitate to reach out. A drink and some sax talk can be a good distraction for a bit.

You have family here. Always.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss Mike! you have, I am sure, everyone deepest sympathy.

This, on top of all the other problems, has to be a very rough moment. It would be for everyone under any circumstance.

I hope that you and your sister will come together and let bygones be bygones and reconcile. You can count on all the people here to be of assistance and I am sure that the ones whom libe close by would be glad to pay you a visit.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm basically a babbling idiot right now. But want, and need, to say thank you for all the kind words expressed.

For those of you who don't know, my invalided mother lived with me during her battle with dementia and other crippling diseases. Being her caregiver in addition to running my business at home meant that I witnessed day to day her gradual decline, and ultimately her death first hand. The only consolation is that she died before the dementia robbed her completely of her mind, and she never forgot who I was. I'm glad we were both spared that. I pray that she is in a better, happier place.

The 24hour care she needed in order to stay out of a nursing home meant that there was little time for me to foster new friendships and relationships after moving from Dallas to W. KY/TN. I'm pretty much left all alone now. It is going to be hard to adjust to my new life's path with no family left.

This community is a lifeline for me, and my online friendships have kept me going for the last few years in particular. I want to thank each and everyone of you for saving me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts
Our thanks goes to you. Much respect for your dedication to your mother.

I am sure that you can count on each and everyone of us!

·
Registered
38 Posts
All of our prayers go out to you and your mother Mike, So sorry for your loss.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Yes, Mike, I understand. My mom landed at my doorstep for the last few years of her life, and I had to become her caregiver until her condition necessitated Assisted Living (where she actually bounced back for 4+ good years of some quality of life).
Ultimately the physical decline as well as start of dementia; I am grateful that her passing came quickly, however - just 6 weeks in hospital and skilled nursing facility after the precipitating final incident.

Like you, my only surviving family member is my brother, and we are deeply estranged, so I do not feel I have any immediate family....

I can only say 3 things:

1) you Mom is in a better place now and she no longer needs to suffer.

2) your Friends are your Family....yes, even if they are 1000 miles away; you can lean on them.

3) you must go through the process of this Loss. It is painful, and it is NOT linear - but it also brings understanding.

Stay strong, things will get better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Mike: My condolences - and thanks for your work over the years with SOTW.

Many of us have gone through it with our Moms and Dads. I too, have no immediate family left - but I have my wife and children and grandchildren, and a smattering of distant cousins. It is a sad time, but you will survive. Grieve, then get on with life. DAVE

1 - 20 of 102 Posts