·
Registered
198 Posts
arrrgh

that was so mean :)
you know I have a late twenties nickelplate TT

as I thought about it, I am older than any of the Selmers we have left

I am the age of a bunch of the Kohlerts and JKs though

seriously, there is no shame in being a Selmer snob. I wasn't one until my kids had a teacher that graduated from UNT.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
LoLa said:
that was so mean :)
you know I have a late twenties nickelplate TT
and you know I was only kidding about the Buescher TT, it's "WAY" older than you, and while you're older than your Selmers they should wish they looked so good.

I do really like my Selmer VII, but I've never seriously thought of it as being a snob so to speak, I could love a nice King Silver Sonic or a sweet Buescher Top Hat & Cane as well I think (well, maybe)....... "oh, when I'm not near the one I love I love the one I'm near" lol.

I dunno if the VII's (especially the altos) will ever sell for as much as a VI, but they are definitely going up in price.

·
1,211 Posts
Omg

and just who's gonna resurrect it? no. 1 is an assistant teacher for Kenneth Tse (did I get that right?), and no. 2 is too busy impressing the girls with his life-guard job this summer then going back to college this fall...and we both know he's married to that Yamaha Custom 62.

or do you plan to go down the halls blowin "When the Saints Come Marchin In" on a black & gold VII alto?

(why do I have this sneakin suspicion this could be payback for the Truetone comment?)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,304 Posts
my mark VII alto weighs a ton

I just bought a Mark VII alto, a good horn, but I was not prepared for the extra weight. This thing feels a lot heavier than my King Super 20 Alto...and it's a lot more resistant than my freeblowing Super 20. So I'm doing some real huffing and puffing. :yikes!: :yikes!: :yikes!: :yikes!:

·
1,211 Posts
the VII's a well built horn, and while my alto is a bit heavier than some it's not overly so. most Selmers blow with some resistance; perhaps it's your mouthpiece. then again I've played Selmers for years so maybe I just don't notice it like you do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Well of course a Super 20 is going to be a very free blowing horn. French built horns tend to have some resistance built into them compared to many of the great american horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,304 Posts
yes, AG...I tried a bunch of different mouthpieces laying around Chez Salt and found a more suitable piece for a horn (a Morgan purchased on SOTW). Thanks for the reminder...I was suffering from brainlock. The horn is still heavy though!

·
1,211 Posts
yeah, I tried several mouthpieces over the yrs on my VII alto & finally settled for an early Meyer NY USA 7 that had been tweaked by Ed Zentera.

·
1,211 Posts
ribbing

Grumps said:
Yeah, VII players need to be able to take the extra ribbing...
you oughta know.....oops, I forgot; that was before you got the silver 10M & the VI; now you're the first to know it's raining, lol.

·
1,211 Posts
I knew about the silver Conn10M, and I could have sworn I've seen posts where you talked about your VI tenor....oh well, I've slept since then. When it comes to tenors it's hard to beat a good VI, but then I know you like the vintage horns, and a 10M is one of the good ones. I'll still take my VII alto over my old VI though.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts