Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I want to share some photos for my tranny mods.
I made these with sugrue as suggested in other thread.
It works great. One minor problem is a mod for bis key. it works great, but fells off occationally and has to glue it back, sometimes during the gig.
My only problem is a position of right thumb rest. I used this tranny for one year and right thumb pain becomes increasingly chronic.
I do not undermine the originality, but now is the time to move it.
I've seen a photo of thumb rest reposition on a other thread before, but it's hard to find now.
Any advice on this is welcome.
View attachment 215496 View attachment 215498 View attachment 215500
View attachment 215502

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts
Your mods look nice. Judging by the sugru on the left thumb rest, I am guessing that you are holding the horn in front of you, and that can result it using your right thumb to push the horn out, adding significantly to the load on your thumb. But this is just a guess that I based on how high you built up the sugru on the left thumb rest. Another thing to consider is a foam rubber cushion over the right thumb rest. It works for me and my 10M.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow you are right. Im holding the horn in front of me vertically.
I will consider the foam rubber cushion before reposition.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had severe pains in the area of my right thumb for years. It was due to a non sax injury.

I ended up playing without a right hand thumb rest. Initially awkward but I got used to it.

I then had an operation to that area which solved all my pain problems, but never went back to using the thumb rest.

It may be that removing the thumb rest would work for you too. You can always put it back !!!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had severe pains in the area of my right thumb for years. It was due to a non sax injury.

I ended up playing without a right hand thumb rest. Initially awkward but I got used to it.

I then had an operation to that area which solved all my pain problems, but never went back to using the thumb rest.

It may be that removing the thumb rest would work for you too. You can always put it back !!!!!!!
I have never thought about playing without a thumb rest. It seems worth to try, but the load on the neck seems to be getting worse. In fact, I have a neck problem, too:)
Anyway, thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have never thought about playing without a thumb rest. It seems worth to try, but the load on the neck seems to be getting worse. In fact, I have a neck problem, too:)
Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Sore neck.........yes, I’ve been there too.

Many sax players have had problems with their neck.

My neck problems have gone since I got a JAZZLAB SAXHOLDER. Google it.
I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
One minor problem is a mod for bis key. it works great, but fells off occationally and has to glue it back, sometimes during the gig.
Oleg sells a bis key adapter made specifically for these Conns that looks just like your mod but is made of cast metal and is secured in place with a screw. That’s what I use on mine. It won’t fall off during a gig.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oleg sells a bis key adapter made specifically for these Conns that looks just like your mod but is made of cast metal and is secured in place with a screw. That’s what I use on mine. It won’t fall off during a gig.
In fact, I saw the Oreg product and made it similar. The Suguru products were well attached there for several months and have started to fall off from recent times. Maybe it's time to spend my money on the Oleg company.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sore neck.........yes, I’ve been there too.

Many sax players have had problems with their neck.

My neck problems have gone since I got a JAZZLAB SAXHOLDER. Google it.
I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Good luck
I have seen my friend use it. It looks a bit scary(facehugger?:)), but I will try it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is kind of ugly, but here’s the bis key extension on my Conn:

View attachment 215636

It’s just a glob of epoxy material stuck on and molded to the bis key. It looks funky but works great and has been on there for a while. It was painted gold but the paint’s wearing off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is kind of ugly, but here’s the bis key extension on my Conn:

View attachment 215636

It’s just a glob of epoxy material stuck on and molded to the bis key. It looks funky but works great and has been on there for a while. It was painted gold but the paint’s wearing off.
Wow it looks pretty good. How long have you attach this?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow it looks pretty good. How long have you attach this?
It’s been a good couple of years. It’s solid, it feel like it’s part of the key. Les Arbuckle did this when I had him overhaul the horn. Les added the bis key extension and also added an additional strap hook for better balance. I got the impressions that those are two standard mods for vintage Conns. And they both certainly improved the ergos of the horn. Mine is a ‘33 transitional tenor, a Naked Lady Chu.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The octave rest attachment boggles my mind. Wouldn't your thumb have to then be angled downward all the time?
It need not be disposed in a completely perpendicular downward direction. In fact, my thumb points at 1 o'clock. In the picture you can see two dimples, thumbs are placed along the two dimples. When I first made this, I made a heart shape by mimicking the Martin committee 1 (aka search light).However, when I used it, I gradually removed the part according to the shape of the bones of the thumb, and it became ugly as it is now

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a Oleg bis key enhancer and try to install it today. However, gap width between back surface and the portion to grap is too small to hold the key.
Do you have same experience? Do i have to sand down the pearl a bit?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I bought a Oleg bis key enhancer and try to install it today. However, gap width between back surface and the portion to grap is too small to hold the key. Do you have same experience? Do i have to sand down the pearl a bit?
I did have to file mine down, but not the pearl or the sax key! I used a Dremel to carve a bit the inside of the Oleg adapter to get it to fit. Had to remove a fraction of a millimeter of material. Once at the right size it fit snuggly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
carve a bit the inside of the Oleg adapter.
The adapter itself is too small, and I have no tools for carving. Well, according to your opinion that the adjustment is necessary, I will adjust the adapter, key or pearl. It will be a tough evening.
I am really grateful for your comments.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I believe the pearl height is not consistent across the many years these sax were made for, as well as wear and repairs since. I wasn't too surprised that a small adjustment to the adapter was necessary. I didn't want to file my sax pearl down, so I adjusted the adapter, which is more easily replaceable. That said, Oleg is very responsive and caring for user satisfaction. If you want to go that route, you can always write them ask for advice or replacement. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts