Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was lucky enough to meet up with Eric last Thursday while we were both in London, and he gave me a lesson for around an hour 30 minutes and it was well worth the expense. Eric's a generous,(in terms of freely giving his ideas away), but quite a tough teacher and really gave my technique a good going over (so much so that listening to a MD recording of my gig today, I feel like not playing to another soul for another six months as I can hear almost EVERYTHING he pulled me for ;()

One thing that did disturb me, was the gig @ the 606 club (in London) was so poorly attended - I had nearly twice the numbers @ my gig today, in Belfast! (Which is not a large city, nor one famed for jazz). - it's maybe a topic for another thread, but it can be quite demotivating to realise that the harder you work, i.e. the better you get, the less people you play for?? - Now I'm (starting) to get to a place where it really is about becoming a better musician, for the sake of being a better musician, but one still has to feed one's family and pay the mortgage!

--back to the practice room!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Glad you had the lesson and that it had so much insight in it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,569 Posts
I bet he's a good teacher. I really enjoy his playing. I was gonna ask what did he have you work on, but thought better of it. I'm glad Neff asked though.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yes, more details, please! & just out of curiosity, how much for an hour & 1/2? When I get up to NY this summer I want to see if I can schedule a lesson or two with him.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was lucky enough to meet up with Eric last Thursday while we were both in London, and he gave me a lesson for around an hour 30 minutes and it was well worth the expense. Eric's a generous,(in terms of freely giving his ideas away), but quite a tough teacher and really gave my technique a good going over (so much so that listening to a MD recording of my gig today, I feel like not playing to another soul for another six months as I can hear almost EVERYTHING he pulled me for ;()
Thanks for the post, Dan. Being a huge Eric fan, it's nice to hear that he's a generous guy and offered up some superior guidance. I've taken lessons from a few "giants," and the results are sometimes mixed; great players don't automatically make great teachers. Eric's technique is amazing so it's not surprising that he would have some good pointers.

I second the others who want to hear details! (To the extent you wish to share ... )

One thing that did disturb me, was the gig @ the 606 club (in London) was so poorly attended - I had nearly twice the numbers @ my gig today, in Belfast! (Which is not a large city, nor one famed for jazz). - it's maybe a topic for another thread, but it can be quite demotivating to realise that the harder you work, i.e. the better you get, the less people you play for?? - Now I'm (starting) to get to a place where it really is about becoming a better musician, for the sake of being a better musician, but one still has to feed one's family and pay the mortgage!

--back to the practice room!
Yeah, that's disappointing to hear and I agree, it's demotivating. The better you get, the more you want to push your own envelope by playing more challenging music, which gives you a smaller and smaller potential audience. Maybe the answer is that we have to bite the bullet and spend more of our time marketing, taking advantage of social networking, etc. You have a nice web site so I think you're heading in the right direction.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eric was concerned that I was using far too much vibrato & my tounging was a little to 'harsh' (critques I've heard before about my playing, but Eric has given me some new exercises to work on) - this is what has thrown me about today's gig - I never really thought it was THAT noticable, & I really tried hard not to do it today, and as usual it came through anyway!

As far as exercises - it was around 20 exercises of Dominant be-bop runs, a few I've heard / been given / transcribed myself, others I can definatly identify in Eric's own playing...

There were other things, but I'll save them for now..................However, I'm not sure how you other guys cope when playing for heavy cats, but I just tend to freeze up and play at about 30% of what I can do - I'm far to nervous infront of them, which is annoying!!

As far as albums to listen and transcribe - Eddie Harris - Tender Storm, Sonny Stitt 'New York Jazz'

Now you guys chip into my $$$ lol - buy a download of one of my albums and tell me if I'm using too much ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts