Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sonny was 23 years old when they recorded that in June 1954 .

Can you make a clip of the solo without the music playing ?
Even cooler. Some much confidence yet so young. Should have looked at the recorded date not the release date.

Not sure I'd sound as good without the backing parts - the timing is what I find so interesting about this particular solo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Even cooler. Some much confidence yet so young. Should have looked at the recorded date not the release date.

Not sure I'd sound as good without the backing parts - the timing is what I find so interesting about this particular solo.

Yeah, you should listen to how well he was playing at 18 on the Bud Powell sessions and the ones he made with JJ Johnson(1949)
Then there's the live recordings w/ Miles at Birdland in '51 when he was 20 - they're on Youtube if you wanna check 'em .

·
Registered
964 Posts
more instructive - and important, if you guys are saxophonists - is to compare it to the 1957 version which I posted above. There is no comparison; Sonny's evolution in 3 years is astounding. It's like Jim Hall once said about Rollins' playing, "it's like watching Picasso paint a picture."

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
also - his earliest recording was with Babs Gonzalez, even before Bud.
Those are cool recordings. Babs is off the wall man. Sonny would just play Bird licks near verbatim on some of those solos. Great to hear where he came from.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts